Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Tool Changes / Missing Cuts

Discussion in 'CAM' started by romamaker, Mar 9, 2020.

1. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

Still learning, but having a lot of fun! Tired another 3D cut using Fusion 360, and have a couple of more questions.

LEAD machine, using Blackbox, and CONTROL. Fusion 360 for CAM and CAD.

First, on tool changes. This was my first cut involving different tools. Here's how I handled the tool changes... just wanted to make sure this was the best method, and there wasn't a better way I didn't think of.

In Fusion 360, I post process my cuts into a separate gcode file for each tool. Over in CONTROL, homed, jogged to my starting points, and then set my zero on all 3 axis. Run the first job. After it completed, I raised up the z axis, and changed the tool. Moved the tool head over a bit to be over top of uncut material. Lowered the Z back down to the surface of the material. Set zero only on the Z axis. Loaded and ran next job. Repeat for additional tool changes.

Anything I'm not doing right?

Next question, on working with tool paths in Fusion 360. This particular cut has some small pockets. My first cut was an adaptive clearing with a larger tool to do most of the rough work. Worked fine. Then I switched to a much smaller tool. Did another adaptive clearing, setting my source from previous operation under Rest Machining. For the most part this worked as expected. But there were several small pockets that it did not cut. I'm not sure why. The tool was definitely small enough were it should have cut these pockets. I'm including some pictures below. (Both a screenshot of the Fusion model and the actual model after cutting.) In particular, if you look at the spokes of the wheels. You'll see on the front wheel, it cut these pockets created by the spokes. On the back wheel, it only cut a few of the pockets. Any tips or tricks to "encourage" Fusion to cut these? (Note, there are some very tiny features as well that I never expected to cut...)

Bike Capture.PNG MTB Cut A.jpg

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Did Fusion not give you a warning when you defined the toolpath for those pockets? How does the radius of the bit compare with the smallest radius of the pockets? Fusion can be a bit fussy about cutting a radius smaller than the bit (sometimes refusing to cut a radius the same as the bit). You may have to use an even smaller bit or modify the design to increase the smallest radii. The rest of the job is looking nice though!
    Alex.

3. romamaker

romamaker Well-Known
    Builder

I figured it's got something to do with the size of the pockets. But they are slightly larger then the too. Tool is 0.8mm... those pockets vary, but most are in the 1.0 to 1.5mm range. I did not specifically define a toolpath for those pockets.... I was doing a 3D Adaptive Clearing cut, which I was expecting it to get those. (As it did on the other wheel.) I had spot checked the paths in Fusion, but I think most had been on the other wheel, which it did cut. When I saw the paths cutting those pockets, I just went with it.

Not a big deal... this was mostly just an exercise in learning. Just trying to figure out how to do things better for next time!

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Set radial stock to leave to 0. This setting effectively makes the bit seem bigger and fusion thinks it won’t fit.