Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Too great of cut depth triggering “Hard Stop”

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Dave Dreher, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Dave Dreher

Builder

So I’m having issues completing a full cut. Using Control. Wanted to get the second part cut. So started making smaller cut files

one of the pockets I was cutting was too much, my fault. But I hit a hard stop seconds into the cut.

Is there control over this? Can I increase a setting to avoid??

2. Dave Dreher

Builder

I’m thinking my stopping might be from too great of cut. Or resistance in machine?

3. Dave Dreher

Builder

I searched this forum for "grounding" & "stopping" spent hours reading through all the material.

Long story short, I do think the root of my problem is grounding. So putting this post on hold until I get that worked out. So get everything properly grounded and run it again. Using the new micro limits, so my plan for grounding is the machine itself, plus the rolling aluminum table I made for it, then the vacuum hose and shop-vac. I'll connect those back to a earth ground. See if that helps.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I second that, sounds a lot like EMI, and that also will still explain your other USB disconnects too (https://openbuilds.com/threads/dropping-port-“access-denied”.14906 )
    Earthing the frame: Remember that there are plastic wheels, so if its really bad, you may want to run earths to the X and Z axes too (as they are insulated from the Y axis by the wheels)

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

What was the exact error? "Hard limit triggered. Machine position is likely lost due to sudden and immediate halt. Re-homing is highly recommended." (EMI on the Limit switch wires, consider upgrading to Xtension Limit Switch Kit if you don't have them already)

Vacuum hoses are the biggest static electricity culprits!