Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

The BEE and ME

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colin Mccourt, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Cheers Buddy...I'll come back to this topic with you once I have it connected up

2. Stan Howe

Stan Howe New
    Builder

Alex, would 3 sides be enough, or would I be able to spin the machine? I lan to build one, and the bench I'll build first will be backed up to a wall, full access to the front and right sides, access to left is only inhibited by a continuation of the bench at probably only 30" deep. I suppose I could also plan to build a temporary extension to the work surface and slide the machine back after its built?

3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

You can certainly spin the machine, it just gets heavier as you build it. :D When you are checking the machine is square it can be useful to loosen off screws and then re tighten them so if you can arrange things so that you can reach all four corners it will save a bit of stretching and some backache :blackeye:. Otherwise your planned layout is the right way round - operate the machine from front left.
    Alex.

4. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Best to make the table square if you can, then when on wheels, you can just turn the table as and when, and slide it back where it should be. :rolleyes:
    Well, that's what I do in the limited space I have. :thumbsup:

5. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hi
    I have mine stowed away into a small space but will still be able to get around it, not totally I might add, but I should get to the bits I need to see...For maintenance sake I plan to put the whole workbench on trolley (2 swivel and 2 static) wheels, with a brake on two of them.
    Dust on the Duet and PSU may also present a problem so I need to construct some kind of DIY suction extension..(I have a few ideas in mind)
    In reply to the above problem of not being able to install YAT (wireless Duet setup) on a 32 bit machine...everything seems to be fine now....The link in the online manual leads you directly to a 64bit download..which obviously is not compatible with my chipset and wont install...If like me you are running on 32bit at this download page click FILES at the top and this will lead to various options for the YAT download...I needed 32bit with .NET framework..once downloaded I unpacked the zip file and ran the setup with defaults.
    I hope this helps some folks out
    Regards
    C

#65 Colin Mccourt, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Alex Chambers likes this.
  6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Well done on the YAT install.
    Alex

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  7. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hahaha onto the next hurdle lol

8. Stan Howe

Stan Howe New
    Builder

SO the more I think about it, I may want to orient the machine on the bench so that the left side is against the wall. That way if I needed to Tile a long project I would have room to do so. That would put me normally operating from the right-front of the machine, and if I had a I'm leaving my office now piece in the machine Id have to run it from the right side? any issues with that? It may depend on where home is programmed to be? Also toying with the idea Collin mentioned about using Locking casters, As long as I build the bench study enough to remain flat I can't think of any reason not to do it. I plan to have all support equipment underneath (PC, Drivers, Spindle Coolant, dust collection etc)

9. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

No problem with running your machine from wherever is convenient. Home is hardwired to back right, but workpiece zero is where you set it, usually front left because cam software will move X and Y positive from the origin you set when setting up your toolpaths.
    Alex ;)

Stan Howe likes this.
  10. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

In the early days of my build ..I would lift the rails construction and spin it above my head to rotate the thing to the side/end that I wanted to work on..as time progressed I soon realized that I wasn't going to do this for much longer as the unit became heavier and heavier...but I still want it against the wall facing outward, I just have to make adjustments as to how I can access as much of it as I can. The wheels are a must though..That said they will have to be heavy duty as the machine plus bench is a fair weight and dust collection provision is also a must

Stan Howe likes this.
  11. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

@Alex Chambers what method are you using to find/set workpiece zero (paper, feeler gauge) ???

12. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

At the moment I am using paper, but I intend to make myself an X/Y/Z zero gauge - there is a video of how to do it on Ooznest's U Tube channel.
    Alex:cool:

13. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

That would be a helpful item...

14. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I have not played with Openbuilds CAM software yet since I switched over to Eslcam for its probing functions prior to OB software release, but another simple method, and one that I use is to attach alligator clips to aluminum tape like this:

I had a roll left over from doing some duct work and gave it a shot. It is 0.06mm thick. I really like it for finding the center of circular stock. However, for just z height zeroing, I just soldered a cable to an alligator clip for attaching to the spindle and the other cable to a copper clad board. It is a consistent 1.48mm thick. I have a second narrower piece of the copper board for the X and y to be held on the edge. Some day I will get around to actually milling a proper touchplate.

Alex Chambers and Colin Mccourt like this.
  15. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I have a dust shoe @Alex Chambers so I guess this will be different again across the "X" axis (width) but the process you mention above should effectively be the same via jogging the machine to find its limits writing them down and typing them into config g. Where is the box I have to uncheck?
    Regards
    C

16. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Depends which way round you fix your dust shoe. If you have it so that it sticks out in front of the router (along the Y axis) it will have little effect on your width (X) and no effect at all on the length (Y) - the limiting factor on Y is the Y carriage plates hitting the frame across the ends.
    Alex.

17. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I think I did see that on one of the Ooznest vids if you have a dust shoe in place you have to allow a further 15mm either side across the width (X) to stop the fitment running into the rails...just trying to be cautious Alex lol.......

18. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I don't know the dimensions of the Oozenest dust shoe - I printed my own. Haven't got it working yet because I haven't worked out how to attach some brush to it. If my version of @Metalguru's cheap and dirty dust extractor works I will stick with that as you have a clear view of the the cutter (and so know when you have done something wrong and snapped the bit).
    Alex :cry:

19. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I got everything connected up this evening and after a few niggles with uploading files I managed to get some movement..well all except the Z axis which is completely dead...no life in the motor when a command is sent to it...any ideas people....also the machine sounds a little rough down the rails not overly smooth in its travel..but I guess this is down to eccentric spacer adjustment...my main worry is this unresponsive motor.

20. Stan Howe

Stan Howe New
    Builder

With my small toy CNC, if it is already in a limit it will not even home, you can turn the lead screw to make sure it is out of the limit and free.

Also, are you sure you have your pairs (A & B) wired correctly? I've seen a video (but not tried it myself) that showed if you (Power Off) touch the 2 wires together from the motor A1 to A2 (Or B1-B2) that you should not be able to easily turn the motor. If you can turn the motor easily by hand then you have A connected to B

21. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

First things first Colin - check all the wiring for that Z motor, especially the connection to the duet. Be careful there - I found the connectors on the duet very delicate. If you are sure that the connections are OK swap the Z motor for one of the others. See if the suspect motor runs on one of the other axes - if so the wiring and/or the duet are at fault. Check to see if the motor you have now put on the Z axis works - if so the motor is at fault. In either case contact Oozenest.
    To investigate rough running slacken all your eccentrics - you won't do any damage just running the gantries up and down the rails - you can adjust them again when things are running smoothly.
    Until you have sorted these problems it is best to leave the setting in duet web control "allow moves without homing" ticked, but be careful not to run into the framework as your "soft limits" won't work. (They are software settings that stop the machine going too far)
    There are a couple of things that could cause the rough running - eccentric adjustment is the first one to check - let me know what happens.
    Alex :banghead::banghead:

22. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hi Alex.
    All my motors we're going hey-wire and the Z axis wasn't responsive at all...upon reading your build post I removed all the connectors and found that out of the 4 motors 3 of them I had to rewire, with either one or more crimps broken...This is a shambles I don't mind doing it but for three out of four... for goodness sake it aint rocket science for to get this part right, somebody aint working to set standards...Especially seeing that, for me at least, this machine wasn't cheap.... This is time wasted and non productive.....Anyway I have sorted the wires now but haven't tested them through a homing cycle as yet should I untick that box you mention????.... secondly You also say that the "Y" limit switch should face to the outside (on the outside track of C beam Righthand side looking from the rear) and not towards the middle as per manual...Just to check is it on the Drag Chain side set in about 15mm due to the drag chain bracket. In parts the manuals suck......
    Thanks for all your help Alex appreciated as always
    Regards
    C
    bad wiring.jpg

23. Stan Howe

Stan Howe New
    Builder

This is good information. I'm still researching and planning on building a work bee. I had decided to use their wiring kit to simplify the task, even though I have decided to install a different board and steppers(wiring kit plugs may not mate with my equipment. I am now going to evaluate just wiring it myself. I'm an electrician with some hobby electronics experience. I think I can do a better job and may even go with shielded wiring.

24. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Just had a look at the picture in your build report - your Y axis limit switch is the right way round and in about the right place (on the inside slot of the Y C-beam next to the drag chain) - just check by jogging machine (+Y) carefully towards the limit switch and check that the Y gantry plate is going to hit the limit switch lever before it hits the end frame.
    Leave the "allow moves without homing" setting ticked until you have got all the motors running properly - just be careful not to run into the frame as your software settings won't prevent you doing this.
    Alex.

#84 Alex Chambers, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  25. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Interesting @Stan Howe lets know what you come up with and post some pics...

26. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I got the X and Z axis to step move in the right directions and then home properly....The Y axis is still a little gravel sounding and I'm almost certain its an eccentric spacer problem....I would like to iron this out before I proceed any further...Then home the Y axis......move the machine around a little and Home All Axis.....that's the plan tomorrow.....X and Y axis seem smooth enough with a nice even whirr sound...wheels all nice and tight.....There is slippage on some of the Y axis wheels hence the need to adjust in the morning...I'm indebted and totally appreciative to @Alex Chambers for suggesting solutions to my problems... they have proved invaluable as sometimes the manual can be a little misleading or not concise enough for a newbie...Lets see what tomorrow brings...I might install an Emergency Stop Button.

27. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Good idea Colin (emergency stop button) - once you have got your homing cycle working I suggest you untick that setting "allow moves without homing" I think it comes up as soon as you click "settings" in duet web control. Then you can check that the settings for machine size in config.g are correct.
    Alex

28. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah Cheers @Alex Chambers ...I always like to have a STOP button (kill switch) on any machine I've worked on....some had more than one lol.
    I'm off the Screwfix tomorrow hopefully I can pick one up at the local.
    I copy you on the need to untick that box .hopefully when I get these eccentric spacers sorted on the Y axis that will be the end of my woes in so far as having a functional machine goes....I'm itching to cut something now....Ok Mr Boycott I'll let you get back to your Cricket...:p

29. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Just a thought - is it just one side of the the Y axis that is noisy? If so is it the side you had the loose leadscrew on. If that is the case you may have overdone the preload on the bearing.
    Alex.

30. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I dont think its that @Alex Chambers as I only moved the lock nut/shim and bearing a miniscule amount...By noisy I mean in its movement on the Y axis only with unbalanced eccentrics (some of the wheels arn't actually hitting the rails correctly or tightly) this may be the cause or at least I'm hoping...I watched a few videos this evening on the Ooznest channel non specific topic matter, just to see what I should be expecting. and to be honest its performing something similar....X and Z are really nice and smooth where as Y is a lot more noisy and this is borne out in the videos....so there is hope yet..but like I say the eccentrics may help in this.....Just as a point of interest what are your views on the smoothness running on all the axis is Y more noticeable than the other two??