Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

The BEE and ME

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colin Mccourt, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Yes played with them all over a few weeks so as I could make a more informed decision this time around..I haven't lost out really on this as the upgrade price is not bad at all...like I say it's not for everyone but it ticks all the boxes for me personally

2. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I suppose @Alex Chambers, but I was new to all of this then. Yourself and this forum has been a great help

#422 Colin Mccourt, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  3. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Well, the Dust Extraction hose arrived today (3mtr x 63mm copper wound PU)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BU68Z4G?ref_=pe_3187911_313716451_E_304_dt_1
    I have to say that after all the trouble sourcing this product I was amazed by the quality. Truthfully I wasn't expecting much at £17 for a 3 metre length. (posted to Northern Ireland).. But I have to say this is very robust and a great product for my Workbee CNC Dust Shoe. All I am waiting on now is the Dust Cyclone to start the job and to see if it really does work. MDF dust can be a real health hazard. I will still wear a mask off-course.
    So the tubing is copper wound I may be able to expose some wire at each end and ground this. To alleviate any static hazard ...(myth or not, it can't do any harm).

PU Hose.jpg
    I'm impressed by this product

Regards C

#423 Colin Mccourt, Apr 2, 2019
  4. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

OUCH! that V Carve Bullet I just bit was a little hard...Damm you 20% Govt vat TAX
    Total £198...

VCD sml.jpg
    No Regrets though, let's hope these creative juices can live up to the task
    Regards
    C

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I should have waited until you got yours - I paid £30 for two 3 metre lengths and some adapters. Admittedly what I got fits my set up better and is fairly light for the router to drag that end around.
    Alex :(:(

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  6. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

To be fair that wasn't a bad deal with the adaptors etc, I'm sure yours is fit for purpose @Alex Chambers. I was just a bit irksome having to fight to get a simple length of pipe delivered to this forsaken island..when I lived on the mainland I could have walked to the end of the street for something like that, over here its a struggle for certain things Thank Gawd for the internet.:)

#426 Colin Mccourt, Apr 2, 2019
  7. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

After around 3 weeks the Chinese Dust Cyclone has finally arrived and I have to say I'm fairly impressed. For a total cost of circa. £18... So I think its time I got around to this job as my shop vac fills up very quickly, too quickly for my liking. It will be interesting to see if this gadget is worth it's salt.

cyclone.jpg

8. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Simple newbie type question...
    Is it OK if I mill a 3D model in MDF first to see if everything is fine before using proper timber or will this not give me a true rendition of my piece? (not bothered about doing this twice as it were)
    Basically, I don't want to go ahead with nice wood if it's not going to look well. The preview looks fine but I have concerns about wastage if it's not just right
    any help appreciated
    Regards
    C

SpringBob likes this.
  9. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Go ahead - it's what I often do. It won't look quite the same but probably good enough to decide whether you want to go further.
    Alex.

SpringBob and Colin Mccourt like this.
  10. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Today I had my first real go at putting V-Carved text onto a 3D model. Yes, I made a few mistakes but all in all, I've learned a few things along the way...The text is a little deep hence the close proximity of the lettering, I should have spaced them out a little more or not gone as deep.
    Should be better next time around.
    Tooling used:-
    6mm Endmill for the roughing pass
    3mm Ballnose for finishing
    90° 12mm V-Bit for the Lettering
    3mm Endmill for cutting out

It's far from perfect but I'm getting there!
    The 3D model came out fairly clean with not too much sanding to be done
    I'm thinking of using a red wax crayon smudge for the heart, antique pine stain for the ribbon with Black lettering and black bordering. Finishing with clear and dark furniture wax combo.

20190413_110717.jpg 20190413_111527.jpg

Regards
    C

SpringBob and Alex Chambers like this.
  11. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Good but for the VCarve, as you say, looks a bit scuffy. You said that you have cut it too deep, I'm thinking that the only way to do that is to set the cutter too low when you do the tool-change because the depth is calculated. Presumably you have used the "Project toolpath onto the 3d model" option in Vcarve ? Geoff

12. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hi @GeoffH
    Yeah, I thought I was doing everything correctly..I carved the lettering initially but it wouldn't go deep enough (just scratching the surface) no matter what I did I couldn't get it to drop 3mm into the ribbon area, so to make matters worse I thought why don't I drop the job z-axis a little. Obviously, that didn't work to my advantage...so a little masterclass wouldn't go amiss here.
    "Project toolpath onto the 3d model" option was checked
    Regards
    C

13. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

I suppose the 3d could have been cut too deep, but that would only be from too height setting? So I'm guessing that at some stage, one or more of the cutters has been set to the wrong height. Presumably the simulation in Vcarve looks good?

14. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah, I need to educate myself a little better in this aspect and run a few sample cuts to work out what does what.
    The simulation looked great and that's why I went ahead and cut it.
    Regards
    C

15. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Yes, I don't think I'll add anything more because it may only serve to confuse. I use G92 on my machine which I don't think you do on the WorkBee. Geoff

16. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @GeoffH, I just looked up G92 - which led me to G54 etc and now my brain hurts! I think I'll stick to making one thing at a time!
    Alex :confused:

17. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Alex, I wondered if Colin may have forgotten to set the Workpiece coordinates on the WorkBee control after changing tool and running the next program? Using G92 in the program eliminates the need to do that manually - Geoff

18. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The Duet remembers WCS zero so if each toolpath is based on the same stock origin (I think Vectric does that by default) the most likely scenario is not setting tool heights. I've not done many jobs using more than one tool, but when I do I put a plastic ring on the shank so I don't have to reset Z zero halfway through.
    Alex.

19. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Yes, I guess that's the problem then. If you don't set the WCS for each program, then the new tool must be the same length as the previous one, which is a bit difficult to achieve. I would suggest that the WCS is set for each program, although the X & Y won't have changed, the Z normally will have by changing the tool. Geoff

20. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I don't always have a bit of stock left to reset Z zero, so I set my bits before I start.
    Alex.

21. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

So your plastic rings on the shank ensures that they are all set at the same length out of the collet. I've never heard of that one before, I suppose it's ok if all the tools are about the same length - Geoff

22. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Ok guys here is what I do, be it right or wrong (being a newbie) I know nothing about G Code numeration (yet)
    I map all my tool paths in Vectric V-Carve Desktop and if they look fine (in preview scrutinisation) I run with them as per literature.
    I set my xyz work position, and when I tool change the only thing I change is z-axis parameter as I have asked on numerous occasions
    The tools are different lengths or are in different positions within the collets 1/8 or 1/4, but I only change the Z axis and set a new work zero from that.
    The Duet remembers work zero
    all I change is the z height
    Am I doing something wrong?
    I have no ambition to learn G code commands at this particular moment in time, I expect I will have to in the future.
    All seems fine with the recent 3D model except for the TEXT, (V carving) so my assumption I doing everything correctly except for the carving aspect. could it be something to do with the model heights within the actual stock height? Maybe I've slipped up there. it's all new to me.
    learning on the fly.

23. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

You are doing things right - reset Z zero by touching the tool tip onto the top surface of the stock.
    Alex.

24. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

If the Vcarve simulation looks correct, and I'm guessing it looks better than your project does, then that's it, all you have to do is make sure that you correct for tool length changes. Maybe you are doing it correctly, but entered the wrong number or pressed the wrong button on this occasion, who knows?
    Geoff

25. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

But I assume you have to tell the Duet interface to zero the Z having touched the workpiece? Geoff

26. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Yes, the Duet has a "return to workplace zero" (ie G54 x0y0z0) and its the z0 that's a problem if the next tool is longer than the previous one. You can either :
    Return to WCS zero, raise Z, change tool, touch tool to surface, set WCS zero.

Change tool somewhere convenient, but make sure that the tool is further into the collet than needed, return to WCS zero, loosen collet, allow tool to rest on surface, tighten collet.

Or what I do, which is set all tools to the same Z zero and mark how far they need to go into the collet with a plastic ring. (some bits come with them).

I've no doubt none of the above is the accepted industry way of doing things (except the last which is a crude copy of fitting a tool into a holder) but they work for me.
    Alex

GeoffH likes this.
  27. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

That makes sense Alex. With Vcarve, each tool has it's own gcode file, which is compulsory. I found this a bit odd when I first used it because for most cnc controls all tools will be within a single file and the tool-change made with a Ttoolno (eg T4) or similar. As you say with professional systems that have ToolHolders you can set the lengths away from the machine and normally the control will have a system of tool-length compensation registers which hold the actual lengths and apply these length compensations at the tool-change.
    So maybe this separate gcode file is the standard way for routers, I'm not sure, but it works well for my DIY machine.
    I presume that Fusion 360 Post-Processor makes a single gcode file with all tools included, I haven't tested that?
    Geoff

28. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Actually, I'm wrong as usual, Vcarve CAN output all tools to a single gcode file. I had overlooked that option, after cutting hundreds of parts:(, anyway the single file option seems to work good for me. Geoff

29. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The Fusion 360 post processor from Ooznest does not handle tool changes, you have to do each toolpath as a separate nc file. There may be developments in this area later.
    Alex.

30. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I worked on a very large glass cnc with automatic tool changing facility which was very handy lol. Obviously we cannot do this here...I thought if you combine all the paths into one file then you can't tool change they need to be saved as individual files in order to facilitate the bit changes otherwise it may carry on regardless am I correct in my assumption?