Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

The BEE and ME

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colin Mccourt, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

OK Here's a Nifty wee site (I stumbled upon) associated with Vectric.DESIGN and MAKE IT
    Software

For those that want to machine some 3D models right out of the box for FREE and try out your Workbee capabilities whilst your at it
    Just download the FREE machinist software, register an account, then download the freebie models and play away to your hearts content...simples
    Obviously, there are some limitations but it's not a bad deal considering and it's FREE, wot more could you want......
    I might give the Celtic Knot piece a whirl in the morning and report back

celtic knot snip.PNG

Enjoy
    Regards
    C

#391 Colin Mccourt, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Alex Chambers and GrayUK like this.
  2. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

The Celtic (wot) Knot Design.
    If you've been following along with the thread you will know I wanted to make a little something using the aforementioned FREE software, Well OK its a bit of a dangling carrot on Vectric's behalf and I have to say I will be upgrading fairly soon as this kinda thing is right up my street.
    This morning I ventured into the garage with good intentions to make a start as I knew it was going to take a few hours, only to be confronted by Sods Law, the IP address had changed again...so for once and for all I followed Ooznest's vid on how to make my connection an access point.
    That done (successfully this time) I proceeded to get to grips with this little wooden design piece.
    First I cut a little square of scrap softwood to 150x150x18mm, placed some double sided tape on the back, squared it up and stuck it down firmly on my spoiler-board
    The design, once imported into the software I proceeded to change things slightly, mainly rounding up the numbers and changing the parameters of the milling bits.
    Here follow the details for anyone who might have an interest in these things.

Roughing Out
    6mm Endmill
    Pass Depth 2mm
    Stepover 2.4mm - 40%
    Spindle Mk*3 on the Makita
    Feed 900mm/min
    Plunge 420mm/min

Finishing
    3mm Ballnose
    Pass Depth 1.5mm
    Stepover 0.3mm 10%
    Spindle Mk*3 on the Makita
    Feed 900mm/min
    Plunge 420mm/min

Cutting Out
    (parameters as per Roughing Out)

This was my first attempt at 3D and I have to say I was very very impressed, both with the finished article and the performance of the Workbee. The settings above gave a good clean end product with very little post sanding to be done. Tomorrow I will finish it with a little more rubbing down then stain and varnish. I think I shall be investing in quite a few more Ballnose Endmills :rolleyes:

Celtic Knot trial.jpg

Regards
    C

#392 Colin Mccourt, Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Alex Chambers and GrayUK like this.
  3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  4. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Yeah @Alex Chambers for sure...It may seem like childs-play to some of the CNC aficionados around here but to me it represents a Neil Armstrong moment. in my learning process.
    I'm that happy with the way things have gone today, I'm going to crack open a bottle of a big heavy RED...:cool:

#394 Colin Mccourt, Mar 30, 2019
  5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Does that free software you mentioned load all vectric files? or just cut 2d?
    Alex

6. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

No @Alex Chambers it's a kind of stand-alone thing with limitations in one hand with a two-pronged attack. There to perhaps draw you into either upgrading to V Carve Pro or Aspire but it will work also with purchased 3d models from their extensive range from their online shop...One thing I will say is the Vectric file extension V3M is pretty much bomb proof....Either way, I see it, as a good marketing ploy.. its a win-win situation for Vectric, You can either use the FREE software and purchase the 3d models when you need them or pay top dollar for V Carve Pro or Aspire and you get the models free...take your pick..Then again if you're wise you could make commissioned work by purchasing the models, sell them on and use your profits to buy the better software (perhaps)
    PS you cant import STL files or any other for that matter, its all pretty much locked down...Reminds me pretty much of an Apple strategy...As I have already said, I like Vectric, it's easy for me to get to grips with so I will upgrade at some point others may not be so keen.

#396 Colin Mccourt, Mar 30, 2019
  7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I have avoided paying for software other than Estlcam, but that Vectric Vcarve Desktop has some great capabilities for a rotary axis. I may be buying that in the future.

8. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Apologies again to others for me being a Vectric0phile but as I've said its functionality and ease of use for a novice is not as steep as other software out there for me personally.
    Having seen what the simplistic and FREE "Machinist" software can do for me I'm totally hooked, but it doesn't provide all the functionality I need, to do what I need to do, as with "Cut 3D" similar but the next rung up, again its lacking in some areas that wouldn't make it future proof for me.
    So I'm looking at either "V Carve Desktop" or "V Carve Pro".
    I have been evaluating all of these software products over the past couple of days and to be honest the "Desktop" version is all I'm basically going to need for the foreseeable future. Yes, the bed size is limited to 2ft sq. but seeing as my Workbee is not overly huge then this I can look past (and there is always tiling for everything else). The price difference is around £300+ GBP. The "Desktop" version holds all the functionality I would need right now.
    Being a Novice and going back to when I first purchased the Workbee. I perhaps made a few wrong choices with regards to the add-ons I bought Cut2D Desktop for around £125 when perhaps I shouldn't, I also bought a nice starter bit set for another £100. Whereas if I'd joined the forum and asked some questions beforehand I may well have made better-informed decisions.. but Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Anyhow so long as your learning that is the main thing. I may not be so hasty next time.
    Regards
    C

9. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Yes Colin, if you can live with 2ft x 2ft then Vcarve Desktop is probably the way to go for you, which you can upgrade to for about £150 I think:confused:, and you can legally sell all your lovely products later if you wish.;)
    I've tested Fusion 360 against VCarve and in summary I would say that if you want to make Creative Art work, Signs, Wood Routing etc. Vcarve is a no-brainer; on the other hand if you are interested in 3D modelling and making Engineering parts, then Fusion 360 is the way to go, and it's free if you are non-commercial, but you will need to invest much more in learning and programming time. VCarve has no 3D modelling, the partner product Aspire has a 3D Creative Artwork modeller, but it's not suitable for 3D Solid Modelling typically used in Engineering design; Fusion 360 and many others are better suited.

It seems that there is an objection to buying software by many in this forum, but in the end, if you want to maximize the benefit of your CNC Machinery, then the suitability of the CAM software to your requirements is the key to success. Geoff (No such thing as a free lunch;))

10. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Yes @GeoffH, £154 ($200) at todays exchange rates. It would be a wise move on my behalf. And open a great many doors to the creativity of this machine. I'll put it on the Birthday List :D

In the meantime, I have a dust extraction unit to build and I ordered a few more endmills from Amazon (hope they are OK)
    51MlUxM6YBL._SCLZZZZZZZ__SY115_SX115_.jpg
    EU_HOZLY 1mm 1.5mm 2.0mm 2.5mm 3.175mm Carbide 2 Flute Spiral Milling Cutter CNC Engraving Router Bits

GeoffH likes this.
  11. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Bet you'll be after one of those fancy Ooznest Workbee Enclosures next ;)- Geoff

12. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @Colin Mccourt - check the upgrade price with Oozenest - they claim to offer a discount. My misgivings about vectric are two - fold, £1800 for Aspire is way more than I paid for my machine and the proprietary file format - I really don't like being tied to one supplier for anything. I would happily pay for the one or two projects I fancy if I could make them without paying the astronomical price for their software.
    Alex :(

13. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I can see absolutely NO need to pay all that for a few bits of ALU :rolleyes: when wood will do nicely.

Understandable @Alex Chambers and I wouldn't want to change your mind ASPIRE is what it is I suppose but I wouldn't go paying all that for something I probably wouldn't use the half of it functions...OK if you have an industrial bed and want to carve yourself a few Game of Thrones Doors but not for a Workbee.

Ballygawlly Castle.jpg

Alex Chambers likes this.
  14. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Yes I agree, Aspire is probably for the serious businesses, who are making their living with this stuff, and should recover their investment easily.
    As a cheapskate, retired, DIYer I found a lot of free grayscale images on the web and with the open source "Blender" program, it's possible to convert from grayscale image to 3D STL files suitable for machining in Vcarve or Fusion 360. That said, Blender isn't the easiest program to use, although there is a lot of YouTube help out there.
    I converted about 20 images like the one below, some time ago, to repeat that I would need to spend some more serious time re-learning the way to do it in Blender. I wish now that I had taken the time to document how I did it :banghead: Geoff
    upload_2019-3-31_18-51-30.png

15. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

No worries @GeoffH, I wouldn't have the time either to sit down and study with the grandkids en tow...:rolleyes:
    I'm sure it's good but there is plenty of stuff out there already even for a novice.
    I've seen a few things I would love to make, hence the upgrade...for which I'll be able to cut in both 2D and 3D with a little V Carving thrown in.
    It's not like me, not doing my homework first but in this instance, I was caught out via my ignorance.

16. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I've only done this with 3d printing, but Cura (free) will take a jpg and convert it to stl treating different tones as different levels (works best with greyscale - will work with colour but results harder to predict). It also has a feature to "smooth" the transition between levels. It is nowhere near as sophisticated as blender but is very simple to use l.
    Alex.[/QUOTE]

GeoffH likes this.
  17. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Didn't know that Alex, thanks I'll try it Geoff

18. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Perfect Alex, that's a lot lot easier, and on first sight, seems to have made a good enough model. :):) Geoff

19. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I've used it for model making - starting from a photo of a prototype - I've usually needed to reduce the range of tones. Word of warning - MS paint uses pixels of several colours to create "tones" - Cura will try to give each different colour pixel its own layer!
    Alex. :eek:

GeoffH likes this.
  20. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Yes colour wouldn't be a help and I gather that Stereo Photography may be coming or already there on phones (things that the kids use to communicate with each other;)). Not sure what the quality would be like compared to the professional setups. Geoff

21. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

This is the 411th message on this thread - the average messages/thread on this forum is 12.6.
    Alex :p:p:p

22. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Well I learnt something on #406, so very happy to have hung in there:)

23. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I've learnt something from lots of the messages - mostly from other people's expertise, but sometimes from puzzling out an answer to the questions people have asked.
    Alex :):):)

24. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I think for most people, there is a free solution available. Until I decided I needed a rotary axis, I was able to everything I wanted to do in Fusion 360 or Fengrave. I do use Estlcam to do a lot of my CAM work and as the controller. I did pay for that one and it is well worth the $59 I paid for the license.

I do love how simple the Vectric systems seem to be to use. As a person that can only cut things that are 26.25 inches wide or less, there is no reason for me to buy the Vcarve Pro. I can tile longer stuff in 24 by 24 inch increments. :thumbsup: I already use other software to generate the gcode for the rest of the functions that are not available in the desktop but are available in Pro. And as Geoff mentioned, I can always upgrade.

The more I read this thread the more I am tempted buy it now. I told myself I wouldn't until I had the rotary axis up and running. :rolleyes:

25. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I created this thread to run alongside my BUILD, and although my build is virtually completed I thought well is it really ever finished. I'm glad I kept this thread running, there is so much info contained within, especially for a newbie like myself. I didn't see the point in having multiple threads running all at the same time. Apologies for those that don't get it but it's just a personal preference. Thanks to all those that have contributed and helped me along the way without your assistance at key moments my Workbee would be redundant by now... as it is, I'm enjoying the ride and hope to go on to greater things learning all the while. I hope you guys and gals will stick around

Regards
    C

26. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Just proves this is one of the most successful threads on the forum! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
    Alex.

27. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

28. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hi @Alex Chambers, just a little update.. I've been in contact with Ryan at Ooznest regarding a little leeway on the upgrade pricing. Apparently they have no control or clout over this aspect. So I'll have to go direct to Vectric

29. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

That's a shame - presumably if you had got V Carve in the first place you would have got their discount.
    Alex :(

30. G-Wizard

G-Wizard New
    Builder

Hi @Colin Mccourt, have you tried the free trial from the Vectric site? No timeline, and you can cut out their sample parts.

I downloaded VCarve Pro and had a play about with it last night. I'm pretty convinced I'll purchase a copy of it.

I've tried persevering with F360 so far, but it seems far more capable than what my needs currently are.

Cheers,
    Graeme