Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

The BEE and ME

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colin Mccourt, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

THANKS FOR THAT *~@*@#
    Those titles are seriously misleading and I feel the moderators should do something about that or at least rename them...

As for the soggy leather embossing experiment, the answer is "I don't know yet" as I'm still in bed awaiting the call for the full Irish cholesterol hit. by er downstairs...So I'm trying to master the art of running a few toolpaths with the wrong tools at the moment...
    Thanks for asking @Alex Chambers :p

Here is a little MASTER stroke from yesterday...spent hours upstairs trying to create something on a trial version of Vetric software..finishes it and transfers to memory stick....inserts said memory stick into computer in workshop and it spits ERROR! This file was constructed on a trial version of this software and is unable to load.... Children "Be wary following the Masters, it's sometimes best to choose your own path" :banghead:
    HELLO WORLD...As you can see....
    I'd love to SHARE IT but I'm having a problem DREAMING IT never mind trying to MAKE IT!

#361 Colin Mccourt, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Those titles refer to how much someone has helped others - members you have helped voted for you. Some people have very sophisticated knowledge of bits of our hobby and help out with the complex and technical issues that arise - others help out at a more basic level. The whole (forum) ends up greater than the sum of its parts.
    Alex.

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  3. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I am more Confused than Confucius :p:D

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

And he's been dead for a while!
    Alex. :confused::confused::confused:

5. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

OK, (Seeing as you were asking @Alex Chambers) - The evaluations are in from the "Soaking "Leather Embossing Experiment". and I have to say on the test sample using only a hardboard 3mm relief, I'm very impressed.
    For the trial, I thoroughly soaked the hide in warm water placed the inverted relief on the face of the leather and layered with a couple of scraps of wood to distribute the clamping pressure. Amazingly it worked. A very good imprint was obtained by leaving this overnight to dry (roughly 12 hours). Two things I was concerned about, #1, Would the fact I was using a wooden relief for the plate, collapse with the moisture content in the leather - #2. What would be the condition of the leather after the drying process?. I'm happy to report, from those aspects, everything was fine.
    I will be using this method again at some point in time for coasters and other small projects I have in mind.
    It gets the thumbs up from me :thumbsup:
    Thanks must also go to @Rick 2.0 for pointing me in the right direction
    NB
    Originally there were two vapor plumes emanating from the coffee cup, one was small and got lost in the milling process on the Workbee. (which would have made the overall effect even nicer). No matter, this was only a test to see wither the process was a viable prospect for future design incorporation. looks like it's a resounding "Yes"

Judge for yourselves...

wet embossing.jpg

#365 Colin Mccourt, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    GrayUK likes this.
  6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

That has worked nicely @Colin Mccourt. It is always a problem routing fine detail into any kind of fibreboard - they all readily split into layers and bits fly off. You'll just have to "master" the technique for milling acrylic or metal.
    Alex. :D:D:D

7. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hahaha too much mastering going on if you ask me @Alex Chambers ....
    Now for something more pressing
    I could recess some pieces of metal in there and have me a nice squeeze...but I'm not paying Amazon 40 beer tokens for the privilage.:eek:
    81iUdwJSqFL._SX425_.jpg

8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Could be a job for a couple of IKEA chopping boards.
    Alex. ;);)

9. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Colin M. I think you can change that "Master" tag in your Profile Section? :rolleyes:
    I could be wrong though, I frequently am, however, I changed mine but that could be a Special, Special privilege. :D :banghead:

10. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Looks like it is a special privilege @GrayUK - I can't change mine although I wouldn't mind being able to - I share @Colin Mccourt's concern that people might think I know what I am talking about.
    Alex :oops::oops::oops:

11. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

When you hover over your name in the top bar and the drop down box opens is "Personal Details" an option? From there, see if Custom Title can be changed.

12. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

NO @Rick 2.0 it will be a setting within the XenForo forum software..It will be the job of Chief Mod or Administrator privileges. They may not want it changing...but the titles are misleading. Maybe a topic for discussion in the Mod Room at the top of the stairs:rolleyes:

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  13. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Congratulations Colin on your meteoric rise from a self-confessed novice to Master in a few days;), I guess once you become a Veteran there is only one further option (deceased) :( Geoff

14. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hahahaha
    I guess I messed up with my Feeds and Speeds rates again.
    The "G" force was out of this world and
    I'm still DYING to make a piece of some significance lol

#374 Colin Mccourt, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  15. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

At my age I've stopped making jokes like that - in case I'm tempting fate!
    Alex :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Colin Mccourt and GeoffH like this.
  16. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Time for some new Japanese signage around the pond area methinks :rolleyes:
    and a nice, large, red Rising Sun behind the Geshia wouldn't go amiss either.

20180708_084313.jpg

Giarc and GrayUK like this.
  17. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I look forward to seeing it!

18. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I need 3mtrs of 63mm Clear PU spiral wound ducting tube to attach to the custom dust shoe on my Workbee. I live in Northern Ireland and can't find a supplier anywhere or when I do it's an extortionate price. Likewise on the internet I ordered of Amazon from UK source Free Delivery with no mention of any additional costs to BT postcodes. I then get an email from the company stating that my order was undeliverable due to carriage costs...they then went on to say if I would like to pay the extra premium for delivery that would be fine...the problem I have with that is the postage far outweighs the cost of the item. Bah Humbug...I've wasted a week now trying to organise something surely this shouldn't be that much of a big deal...I don't want heavy tubing it's only a router CNC for heaven's sake...so if anyone knows of a suitable product that ships to this gawd forsaken place then please do let me know....Regards C

19. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

20. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

21. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Doesn't post to Northern Ireland :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

22. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Is 100mm (you'd need to fit/make adapters, but you do have a cnc machine) duct hose any use - if so you can get it at screwfix.
    Alex. :thumbsup:

23. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Nah @Alex Chambers I dont want a load of adaptors reducers etc The shoe already has the connection for 63mm pipe as does the dust extractor tornado thingymajig...The ironic thing is I can get it in BRADFORD :banghead::banghead::banghead: and I'll be over in July. I may leave it until then. Its so flippin annoying that something so simple becomes purely inaccessible in this day and age...I'm not paying that high of premium just for postage for an item they are selling at circa £26 and then looking £40 postage..not on.:mad:

24. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Try amazon Trotec TF-L 63 mm / 6 m flexible duct air hose.
    Alex.

25. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I think I've managed to source some seems very cheap though only 17 beer tokens including free p and p on Amazon..I'm waiting on another polite email...funny thing is they take your payment and then take 7 days to pay you back...hopefully this transaction will go through without a hiccup...fingers crossed

#385 Colin Mccourt, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  26. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If they do that to enough people they could make a profit from the interest!
    Alex :mad::mad:

27. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

WooHoo I have a tracking number it's been despatched £17 all in...Can't be April Fool can it?:rolleyes:

GrayUK likes this.
  28. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

V Bit Conundrum
    As I only possess 2D software at present but would like to V Carve some text into a board using the "Single Line" fonts at my disposal. I would like to ask the forum members, which size of V Bit is best for this function (mm) 10mm 16mm ?? and also do I use a 90° bit or 60° for this purpose which would you suggest is best. It's not the ideal solution, and it's the only way I can think of doing this (if it even works) until I can save up enough to upgrade to Vectric V Carve pro but it will have to do for now.
    In addition, this is what I'm hoping to achieve, A 500mm x120mm Japanese Style Sign (it will hang over the pond pergola via small chains) it signifies the symbols for the four seasons. Spring, Summer, Autumn. Winter. I have pocketed each character (prelim in software) to a depth of 6mm with a 3mm endmill and then run around the rim (on the line) with a 90° V Bit to 1mm. Will this actually work, will it look OK (passable) or am I wasting my time. The plan is to paint it gloss Red, Mask it all off, Then carve it on the Workbee and finally spray in the lettering with Black. Remove all the masking and tidy up the finished piece (hopefully):rolleyes:

pond sign 1.PNG

Thanks in advance for your replies guys/gals

Regards
    C

#388 Colin Mccourt, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    GeoffH likes this.
  29. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If you machine a chamfer on the lettering how will you mask it to spray black?
    Alex. :confused:
    Apologies - just read your post again - both brain cells functioning this time.
    Alex :oops:

30. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

I use 90, 60 and 45deg cutters, from here 45Deg 60Deg V-Groove Router Bit Straight V Type Slotting Cutter | eBay obviously the diameter depends on how deep you want to cut, the larger angle give better strength for MDF - I use 60 most, then 45 and 90 not very often.
    Your project will probably look ok from ground level, obviously you won't get nice sharp corners or be able to cut small details very nicely in 2D.
    I did this one in Walnut a few days ago with a 60deg cutter.
    upload_2019-3-29_8-33-44.png
    You can see I have been lazy in not selecting a flat area clearance tool, but only took 22minutes, this is before any sanding
    upload_2019-3-29_8-36-10.png
    Painting or filling with coloured epoxy resin can be effective, this one is being left old-style.
    Geoff

Colin Mccourt and Alex Chambers like this.