Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

The BEE and ME

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colin Mccourt, Feb 11, 2019.

1. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

You've got it Colin, feeds & speeds can be the black art of cnc work. You have to think of
    Rigidity of machine
    Rigidity of clamping
    Power in the spindle
    Power in the axis motors
    Material to be cut
    Type of cutter, number of teeth, size, technology, upcut, downcut...
    Depth of cut
    Width of cut
    Quality of cutter
    etc.

So it's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string".

I'm not sure if the Duet has feedrate and spindle override, if so, you can play around increasing / decreasing the feed/speed until you see/feel/hear good chipping/cutting. Sorry for the bad news. Geoff

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  2. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Great little Chopping Boards - aka. Practice Blanks ;) from IKEA
    £3.50 for two, can't be bad. 350x240x30
    magasin-chopping-board-set-of-2-rubberwood__0439441_pe592051_s4.jpg

#332 Colin Mccourt, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Looks like I'm off to IKEA. :D
    I quite often buy the chopping boards sold by Lidls when they have them. They're a really rigid plastic.
    Again, good for test runs. :thumbsup:

4. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Being still new to all of this can anyone give me a little insight to speeds and feeds through MDF for the following tools...I've have read that moving too slow through a tooling cycle is equally as bad as moving too swiftly so if I can gain some indication about this material here it will serve me well for the future..

Here follows my endmill tooling,
    6mm bit to a depth of 3mm each time
    3mm bit to a depth of 1.5mm each time
    2mm bit to a depth of 1mm each time
    90 degree V bit to a depth of 3mm

Some of those I'll be going deeper with probably no more than 40% stepovers at about 17000 on the router

Can someone offer me an insight to the above milling of MDF so as I'm not killing my Endmill bits...
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Colin

5. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Wood and Genuine Leather Coasters (by a novice)
    This evening I set about making a set of four coasters with leather inserts and felt pads on the base
    Each coaster is 104mm square with an 80mm pocket/recess. Fairly simple affair to make. First I cut a piece of 5mm ply 300mm x 300mm
    squared everything up, marked the centre and cut out the tops with the hole in. I then cut the same with the hardboard minus the hole. Sanded everything up and bonded these together with wood glue. Once dry I applied a generous coat of American Walnut wood dye to the plywood grain.
    Tomorrow I plan to complete the job by fine sanding, masking off and spray coating the edges, recess, and undersides in matt black. I then need to cut the leather (for which I've made a template) and stick it down in the pocket. Finally, I will apply 4 small felt pads to the base.
    Looking good thus far. Relatively quick and simple to make. If all goes well I may make a little personalised holder to complement the set.

Leather Coaster.jpg

Alex Chambers likes this.
  6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

7. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

I'm a mere fledgling @Alex Chambers amongst a lot of very large birds. But I always wanted to make simple perhaps saleable items to cover the odd bit here and there. So I'll be trying out a few designs in the comming weeks. At least I won't be throwing good timber off-cuts into the bin anymore lol

8. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Colin.
    Looks great. :thumbsup:
    When you're done, can you stick a copy in the Projects Section please? :rolleyes:
    Looks More Than Worthy :D

9. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Yes, I can do that @GrayUK but as you say let's see what they look like when they are finished, (I need to be happy with them)...The finish is what will make or break the project. If things go to plan a little "Holder" could be in the offing as well.

GrayUK likes this.
  10. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

This evening I have tidied up the coaster set somewhat, giving them a little coat of varnish and left to dry. Then I cut and applied the leather inserts (all glued in with spray adhesive). Tomorrow I will finalise the job with a good all round tidy up of each individual piece. Then will come the most crucial part (and things could all go pear-shaped in the blink of an eye). Putting pay to hours of work.
    The plan is to mill the following, 3mm inverted coffee cup motif. Pop it in the microwave and ding the thing until its fairly hot, then turn the disk over and brand the leather insert on the coaster whilst applying pressure via a "G-Clamp" (or similar)..Embossing effect "Will it or Won't it!, Who knows ...
    Wish me luck.:rolleyes:

emboss.PNG

GrayUK likes this.
  11. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @Colin Mccourt - what are you planning to mill your "branding iron" from? (not metal in the microwave! - unless you want to eat your tea in the garage for the next six months!)
    Alex. :eek::eek::eek:

12. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
    Now wouldn't that be a laugh...
    No @Alex Chambers don't fret I will be using oak probably or any (non-metallic) scrap I've lying around...lol

13. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Still probably a good idea to put a small bowl of water in there as well.
    Alex.

14. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Will Do...The problem will be trying to get the wood embossing block hot enough to make the impression via pressure (from the clamp).
    I'll try it first on a few scrap pieces of leather on how long to ding the disk to get the best imprint. See how we go. Fingers crossed.:nailbite:

15. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If the microwave doesn't work you could always try the main oven (best wait until your home alone) - but using wood means it might warp when heated.
    Good luck.
    Alex;)

16. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Tomorrow morning hahahahaha;)

17. GeoffH

GeoffH Journeyman
    Builder

Good luck with that one Colin, I would have thought that Aluminium or Brass would be the way to go, but I have no experience, it will be interesting to hear how it works out.
    By the way regarding your "Floorboards", I think these may be HDF not MDF. What that means, I'm not sure, all I know is that when I have installed some of this stuff in the past that I have dulled several TCT saw blades from my Makita Mitre/Cross cut. It appears to have a very hard skin, but I have found that using a Jig Saw does the job very much better, with less mess and hardly any wear to the blade??
    Geoff

18. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

As stated above I made the effort to complete this little job. This morning I got to milling out the little impression plate from wood and heated in the microwave (first for one minute then again for two on a different piece of scrap leather) and clamped. All did not go as planned. I got nice milling, and yes I did get an impression in the leather test piece but to me, it won't last, it really needs to be metal branded properly. So for future reference, I may subscribe into buying a dedicated branding iron with this logo emblazed upon it.

That said, I finished up the coasters as they were, adding the felt foot pads to the underside and giving the tops a light smearing of clear furniture wax to enhance the wood a little. See what ya'll think.(below)..Personally, I don't think they turned out too bad for the first attempt by a CNC novice, there are maybe a few things I would do differently (to make them truly saleable) next time around. but all in all, I'm fairly pleased with the initial concept and the end result. (if a little sad I didn't get to emboss the leather) "Ah Well", maybe next time.

Wooden and Leather Coaster.jpg

#348 Colin Mccourt, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  19. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

The one major specific change that I would probably like to perform next time is to square pocket the underside of the ply top piece a little wider than the hole, so as the leather can be cut square and sandwiched between the two wood segments rather than having to cut circles out of the material (this can be quite tough). This would have the effect of giving the leather insert a much nicer cleaner edge.
    Regards
    C

20. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Looking nice @Colin Mccourt, the pocket on the underside is a good idea. I'd fix an L shaped fence to the spoiler board so each coaster could be quickly clamped in place to cut the pocket.
    Alex.

21. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks buddy!
    For sure @Alex Chambers, I'm still taking the easy way out in that I'm using the centre of my workpiece as the datum point (work/start position) it would be a whole lot easier for me to use the front left corner from now on. As I'm mostly cutting small pieces presently I find myself just using the same lines that I've drawn on the spoiler board as the squaring off points. An "L" shaped ruler fence would be a nice addition.
    Regards
    C

22. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

You could still use the centre as your datum, but with a fence you would only need to line up the first one, then process a whole batch.
    Alex. :thumbsup:

23. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Here's a project to look at for stamping. Cnc Acrylic Embossing Stamp The key is getting the leather good and wet before stamping so you'll want to do it before you mount the leather.

24. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Nice one @Rick 2.0
    I must have missed that...Wetting the leather of course..It may work I'll give it a go with my woody version of the acrylic stamp see what gives, but to be honest I don't honestly think that there is any creditable longlasting imprint that can outweigh proper metal branding, but we'll see.
    Many thanks
    Regards
    C

#354 Colin Mccourt, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  25. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Buy Now!
    Latest Amazon.co.uk purchases:cool:

dusty1.jpg

I want to make something like this little trolley

photo-large-hd.jpg

Alex Chambers and GrayUK like this.
  26. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Coast to Coast Slideshow

GrayUK and Alex Chambers like this.
  27. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Who's getting sophisticated then? (background music now!)
    Alex.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

28. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

:ROFL: Its all in the presentation @Alex Chambers

29. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

@Rick 2.0
    Looking forward to tomorrow, maybe :rolleyes:

20190323_154528.jpg