Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

SW dxf to Libre to OpenBuilds CAM

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Chris611, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Chris611

Chris611 New
    Builder

I am struggling and have been searching, but just can't the image in CAM to look like the part. I created a part in Solidworks. Exported as dxf. Put into Libre and selected all, tools, polylines, create polyline from existing segments. Then export as MakerCAM SVG. Open in OpenBuilds CAM. I have 2 paths and can create the g code, but there are no arcs. It's all straight lines where there should be arcs.

Any thoughts on this? See attached screen shot and files. cam.JPG sw.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Export as DXF R14, not SVG

See Problems with importing DXF into OBcam as a step by step example with QCAD

3. Chris611

Chris611 New
    Builder

Thanks for the lightening fast response!! That worked better. A couple issues.
    1) The part was made in SW. About 2" x 2" overall. When it comes into CAM it appears the dimensions are in mm. Not converted, but like 2" is now 2mm.
    2) The hole doesn't show up in CAM. If I move the outline a few times and do a control Z, then the hole shows up. And the move has distorted the outline.

t2.JPG t3.JPG

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Use the Transform tool, instead of mouse move to move the entity. Toolbar on the left, icon that looks like a ruler.

As for the size - possible you used the SVG file in this workflow? Original DXF out of Solidworks > QCAD > Polyline > Into DXF again shouldn't change sizes. SVG is unitless (well, uses Pixels and DPI - artwork dimensions not physical). Otherwise export as millimeter from SW. CAM is still metric only

Check the Documents tree - its still a DXF Circle (not a polyline) - convert it to Polyline too