Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

SVG to Gcode

Discussion in 'CAD' started by GRMark, Sep 5, 2019.

1. GRMark

GRMark Well-Known
    Builder

Although I'm a very "techy" type of guy I'm new to the CNC world and thus need some handholding. I recently built a Workbee with a black box controller. Although I have yet to cut anything on it the machine seems to work fine. I'm starting the build of an acoustic guitar and want to use my new CNC to make the side bending forms, etc. On a previous guitar build I had help setting up the CNC and all I provided were the needed files from Adobe Illustrator. For this build I purchased DXF files of the guitar with all closed vectors. The problem I have is that I can not seem to generate any gcode from my SVG file I exported from Illustrator. I'm using the OpenBuilds Control software and associated online gcode generater. I tried following the recommendations about bringing it into Inkscape, select all, paths, etc but still can't create any gcode. My situation if further complicated that at my shop I have no internet access so need to generate the code at home. I have uploaded the original SVG file from Illustrator. I know this subject has been previously discussed but I'm unable to get things to work.

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

You have to convert all SVG entities to "SVG Paths" for most CAM software to understand it. Closed vectors is important too but I see you already had that covered :)

I opened your file in Inkscape

Ran Path > Break Apart (Object to path on its own didnt work, but after breaking apart it did, not sure what the original had done to it that needed that)
    then ran Path > object to path
    Saved

And it now opens (modified file attached)

svg.PNG

Attached Files:

sharmstr likes this.
  3. GRMark

GRMark Well-Known
    Builder

Thank you Peter that is a HUGE help!

sharmstr and Peter Van Der Walt like this.