Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

surfboard machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by jespin4845, Aug 15, 2020.

1. jespin4845

Builder

trying to see if I could make a surfboard machine with linear actuators or C linear beams from open builds, If someone could help point me in the right direction

looking to make exactly this type of machine

if I make linear C beams with a gantry, will a Nema 23 belt driven on both Y rails be enough to move an X and a pretty long Z line actuator?

looking to recess it in a box and make it 6' long, any way someone can point me in the right direction? I just got into hobby cnc about two months ago with an already made machine and want a new build that I don't have to tile a board, also I am limited by the table on the Z right now

thanks

Javier

reviresco65 likes this.
  2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It would be fairly simple to do a variation on the belted Workbee. What size blanks are you looking to be carving?

3. jespin4845

Builder

the blanks are 6' long, about 4 inches thick and 24 inches wide

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Attached is a rough concept based on the belted Workbee. The usable envelope is 75" x 30" x 4.5". The problem with V-slot is that it is only really available in 1500mm (max) lengths and you need approximately 2100mm. The concept uses 20x80 V-slot fastened to the back face of the C-Beam rails to splice 1500mm + 600mm lengths together. If you're careful with the splice it shouldn't be apparent in the finish of the milled cut.

Surf Board Carver.jpg

Again, the model is a rough concept. I didn't bother to show all the cast corner brackets needed to hold the 40x40 base framing to the side rails (or many other connectors for that matter). The concept also eliminates the inner Y-axis plates as they shouldn't be needed for as soft of a material as you are cutting.

Sketchup file attached.

Attached Files:

5. jespin4845

Builder

thanks for the idea! with the elimination of the inner Y plate it changes everything

6. Kyle Rausch

Builder

Very curious with this idea as I have been approached to carve some short boards. With this model would there be a way to set up to make sure the piece stays on the same center or some type of hold down to secure the material?