Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Surfacing wizard sets my spindle speed to 1000rpm, how to change?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Jaim Wolfe, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Jaim Wolfe

Builder

I've just connected my blackbox to my Hungyang VFD spindle and have it working correctly. The problem I notice is when I run the surfacing wizard, it does a M3 S1000 command and turns on my spindle but only at 1000rpm. If i manually turn it on with a M3 S18000, it still issues the command and slows it down to 1k. Can someone tell me how / where to change this setting? I've searched the forums, google and youtube for almost an hour and am finding nothing. I'd also like to be able to use the Tool On Button and have it default to 18k vs 1k, if someone could answer that as well.

Thanks, You guys are awesome.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sorry, we default that to the typical setup: For now, please just edit the M3S1000 to M3Sxxxxx in the Gcode Editor tab

#2 Peter Van Der Walt, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  3. Jaim Wolfe

Builder

Understood, thank you for the quick response. Just wondering, isn't 1000 too slow for basically any router to run at? Also, there is a good idea for a future enhancement: Have operator enter their desired RPM's on the surfacing page, or maybe an entry in the GRBL settings page for desired RPM. :)

Thanks again.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Hardcoded Grbl defaults = $30=1000, relates to : S1000 = full PWM = The IoT relay turns on :) OpenBuilds BlackBox 4X Documentation

Correct, it should, therefore why I said "For now, please just edit " - as its already been added to the Todo :)

Jaim Wolfe likes this.
  5. Semper Why

Builder

In my experience, the only way to get the speed you want is to go the Settings tab, click on the Settings icon and adjust the value in "Power Speed/Scale".

It seems as if the code generator will start your spindle at whatever value you put in the M3 line in "Start G-Code", it will immediately rise/drop to the maximum value of "Power/Speed Scale" and stay there. Looking at the code generated by the tool, every line specifies this speed, ramping the spindle up/down at every command.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

You are refering to CAM.

Surfacing wizard is in CONTROL. As mentioned above, will add spindle configuration at some point to control too.

7. Semper Why

Builder

Whoops. Right you are. My apologies.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.