Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Suddenly Can't hold a tolerance any more on My Workbee 1000x1000

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Corey Applegate, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Corey Applegate

Builder

I prototyped some trim rings for my father last week to fit around some pipes. They are two pieces that fit together like puzzles. After finalizing the ID of the circle I started off cutting the lot. I somehow unfortunately believe i set the tool height wrong and as it broke trough the 1/2 mdf the part let loose and when it liffted out to traverse to the next cut the X-Y motors lost steps as the 1/8 bit did not clear the top of the board.

I re-squared the 2 Y-motors and found I broke a bearing. I have my Bearing flipped and the lead Screws in Tension. I replaced the bearings and choose to not put them in so much tension but they still are snugg.
    I tried to cut a part and the dato fit was sloppy.

I though maybe My spoiler board was not level from moving the machine around so ran a quick spoil board clean up pass and found the head was not trammed in as that pass feathered the board. I trammed the head and ran the spoil boar pass to get rid of the feathered pass from before.

Also my X and Y screws seem to need lubrication. They squeak quite a bit now. Not sure if it a result of the crash or just that they need dry lube.

I was supper excited after the first set of rings I made I needed me to use (-.1mm) of material to leave to get the parts to fit not so tight. Now it like there is an essesive amount of back lash somewhere. The Rings are cut in the same operation facing eachother with the seams on the y axis.

Please help me get my tolerances back.

Attached Files:

2. Corey Applegate

Builder

A dive deeper finds one of my y-axis has LOTS of back lash. I clamped the carage in place and can rotate the screw nearly 1/4 turn.

3. Corey Applegate

Builder

I just ordered 4 new nuts. I haven't really worked this thing yet. Are there any obvious upgrades to better Backlash nuts?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Its unlikely the nutblocks themselves are causing the issue: 1/4 turn is a LOT!
    Do a disassembly and check what exactly is causing it, maybe the stop collars are loose, or something else

sharmstr likes this.
  5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

stepper motors cause vibration
    vibration causes nuts to come loose ===> check EVERYTHING.
    on my Ox all the motor bolts worked loose, every one of them!