Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Stranger in a strange land ... workbee 1050 in my future?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by StrictlyScale, May 31, 2020.

1. StrictlyScale

StrictlyScale Well-Known
    Builder

My first post. Looking to mostly cut ply sheets from 1/8” and 1/4” including some laminated with CF, maybe thicker, G-10, CF sheets, perhaps even aluminum and foam.
    Been doing some research and interested in taking the plunge with the Workbee series and looking at the openbuilds parts store to get what I need and just want to confirm I’m on the right track with equipment selection. Any suggestions or recommendations on what i should add/remove?

- Openbuilds Workbee 1050 (or perhaps the 1510?)
    - BlackBox Motion Control System (but its out of stock...still best to wait for it or find an alternate?)
    - DeWalt DWP611 Compact Router
    - NEMA 23 High Torque stepper motor (need qty 4 correct? Is high torque necessary?)
    - 24V meanwell power supply bundle
    - dust shoe
    - XYZ touch probe plus
    - Wood Starter 3pc CNC bit kit (good place to start?)
    - sharkbits Holder...just because.

Can i run this on a Mac? I use Fusion 360 on the Mac.

Other than footprint and slight increase in price, does it make sense to pick the larger 1015 model? Looks like the cutting area is larger but the depth is less than the other models sizes (1010 and 1050).

Thanks in advance if anyone can share some tips for the novice.

Thanks, Sean

#1 StrictlyScale, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. StrictlyScale

StrictlyScale Well-Known
    Builder

Bump. I’m still hopeful to get some feedback on my post above about getting started with this setup. Any thoughts from the experienced community here? I rec’d a welcome email from Mark at openbuilds and emailed him back but didn’t get a response. Any guidance would be appreciated, thx.

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I would say you could get away with a non high torque on the z axis. I prefer lead screws vs belts so I would get the 1010. You will easily cut the things you want to cut.

I think all your choices are good. The Black box is a great controller with great support so it may be worth waiting.

4. StrictlyScale

StrictlyScale Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks this is helpful! Looks like the Lead 1010 also has an extension to raise the Z axis which looks like a very nice upgrade. Appreciate the input!