Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

strange z cut depths

Discussion in 'CAD' started by donald k wilson, Mar 2, 2022.

1. donald k wilson

Builder

I have an odd problem which has just reared its ugly head. My z cut depths on my machine are not the same as what is coded. the machine is plunging to random depths much deeper than called for in the code. My z calibration is accurate, my manual move z commands in the control panel are accurate and return to z-0 is accurate. I have had this happen with the open builds cam software and freecad generated code imported into open builds control. The code seems to run accurately in the sim function in both.

Hopefully this is a reasonable description of whats going on, I'm happy to provide additional info but didn't want to flood the zone out of the gate. Thanks for your thoughts... dkw

I

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

So what are you using now?
    Include the file?
    Did you remember to HOME prior to setting Zero? (Advanced CAMs move in Machine Coordinates too)

3. donald k wilson

Builder

AARRGGHH...! I may have found the cause of the discrepancies. It appears my plywood work surface has warped and lifted in the center of the table almost .15". I am surprised but not surprised. Some additional digging will prob confirm my initial observation, I'll update.
    Thanks, dkw

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

One cure I have found for this when possible, is if you have holes that need to be drilled in your part, do that tool path first. Then use the holes to screw the piece down tight to your work surface before cutting other tool paths. But, that is not always an option.

JustinTime likes this.