Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Stl to Gcode for milling

Discussion in 'CAD' started by Rizescu Ionut, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Rizescu Ionut

Builder

Hy guys!
    I have this situation: I can make a gcode from a stl file. The Gcode opens nicely on openbuilds controller.
    But the problem is that I can't find a way or a program to cut the Gcode to run the code step by step in depth (mm by mm)
    In the absence of slicing, the controller commands the cnc to do all the work in one pass. It may work on industrial machines, but my Workbee does not pose the problem. Any solutions? Thanks!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Archtop67 and Rizescu Ionut like this.
  3. Rizescu Ionut

Builder

Thanks
    I have to think a little about these things. I hope to find some free options out there.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Fusion 360 is free to certain users (non commercial, education etc)

Rizescu Ionut likes this.
  5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Although I have never tried it yet, Estlcam can machine STL files. There is a free version, but the paid version ($59) is the option I chose after trying it. It is also easy to generate CAM from various types of other files like .dxf and .svg. if you search Estlcam on YouTube, the developer has a bunch of short videos for the various processes.

6. Rizescu Ionut

Builder

Thanks!
    I've tried some programs, but i found that my laptop is way out of capabilities to work with the majority of them. Pff! When you start to play with those toys, it gets complicated.

7. Rizescu Ionut

Builder

Imagine! I have a laptop with a 32 bit setup windows. I wanted to install Fusion 360, but no way to work on 32 bit.
    Now ...it gets complicated again. Installing 64 bits OP offer a bigger ram memory, but 64 bits sistem spread a big part of the ram on maintaining some functions in best shape. So it will work with more lag that the32 bit version. Then again, the 32 bit, even if you have more ram on your sistem, it only uses around 3,3 Giga. So ... back to the problem again.
    In conclusion ... i am struggeling to stay on the sistem i have, but i got a lot of limitations.
    I don't have the bugget now to upgrade, so i'm tryng to find the shortcuts i need.
    Enyway... thanks for the informations.

8. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I've done this with ESTLcam with success, made the file using tinkercad, and Estlcam lets you set max cut depth and roughing and finish passes.
    I was going to post a project here but time has been short! This was my son's co2 car.. it won first place :)
    Cheers
    Gary

Attached Files:

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Sadly most CAD CAM software needs a decent PC. Probably your hardware does support 64bit, just needs a format. Speak to your local IT guy about the best way forward, even if you need upgraded hardware, the IT guy probably has a box of secondhand bits you can have for free/cheap or you can find good stuff on Craigslist

10. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I run Estlcam on a crappy 11" windows 7 32 bit laptop someone gave me. It routinely freezes up when using sketchup if other programs are running, but it runs Estlcam just fine.