Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Stepper motor question: Power

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Marc Fridley, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Marc Fridley

Builder

Good morning! I was wondering if I could run this motor using the openbuilds 24v meanwells PS and the CNC xPRO V3 Controller Stepper Driver board.
    • Manufacturer Part Number: 23HS45-4204S 57x100
    • Step Angle: 1.8°
    • Holding Torque: 3.0Nm(425oz.in)
    • Rated Current/phase: 4.2A
    • Phase Resistance: 0.9ohms
    • Recommended Voltage: 24-48V
    • Inductance: 3.8mH±20%(1KHz)
    • Weight: 1.8kg
    • Lead Length: 30cm

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Not a good idea. You'll be stressing the xPro board and still only be getting about half power out of the motors. If you want full power you'll need a proper driver that can provide the full 4.2A the motors need. The 24V power supply should be fine.

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. Marc Fridley

Builder

Thank you!!!!!

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Mark Carew likes this.
  5. Marc Fridley

Builder

Peter-
    I received my stuff from you guys and bought the drivers you recommended. When I got the xPro board, it is a version 4, which doesn't match the wiring diagram that you sent. From what I see it looks somewhat straightforward, but there isn't a guide for the V4 board is there?

6. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Marc,
    It's the same just use the screw terminals which make it even easier. Not sure why you bought an XPro when Arduino does the same thing?
    I think Peter assumed you already had the xPro?

upload_2019-1-3_13-20-7.png
    Cheers
    Gary

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. Marc Fridley

Builder

Peter and Gary-

This is my first build of this type and I wanted to make it as simple as possible. I wasn't sure about using an Arduino but I do have two laying around. What I have read is that the stepper motors I have, run best around 36w, but my understanding is that the xpro boards are only good to up to 24. Is this correct? Thanks for helping me out!!

8. Gary Caruso

Hi Marc, the motor you listed has a nice low inductance.. and would do fine on 24 Volts ( assume you mean Volts not "36w") but when using external drives you can use whatever voltage the drives are rated for.
    Higher voltage gives you higher max rpm, higher amps (up to the thermal limit of the motor ;) ) is holding power and torque.
    As for using the xPro itself the biggest limit is the ~2 amps that each channel can deliver.
    Cheers
    Gary

9. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

When you have the DQ542MA Stepper Motor Drivers the power supply that runs the motors doesn't run through the xPro or arduino, it is connected directly to the drivers. So you can run 36V to the motors and have a smaller PS that runs a lower voltage to the main board.

Gary Caruso likes this.
  10. Marc Fridley

Builder

Ok, guys. I need some help. I wired everything up as diagrammed. I am running the motors off of the up to 48v PS. Board off of a laptop PS. Using the driver boards I got from you guys (DQ542MA Stepper Motor Drivers). Start testing, x- perfect, z-perfect, y- motor makes a loud humming noise and spindle just twitches back and forth. I figured I got a bad motor from Amazon, so I replaced it. Re-wired and got the same result. Ok, I bought 4 driver boards to have a spare. I rewired it to the new driver board, the same result. The connection on the Y is the same as what is on the other two, so do you think I have a bad board? It is the xPro v4.

11. Gary Caruso

Marc, Did you try swapping x and y (step and direction output) at the xpro? this would rule out the Y channel being bad.
    My guess would be you have a wire crossed somewhere and the coils are not matched up.
    I'm a little confused as to what this means .. ?
    "I am running the motors off of the up to 48v PS. Board off of a laptop PS. "
    Cheers
    Gary