Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Stepper motor problem

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Fred Marriott, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Fred Marriott

Builder

Hi guys, I recently upgraded to a 110v spindle and ever since I did the stepper motors make a computerized sound like a video game .. I changed the Box thinking it was the drivers but still have the same issue. Can anyone help ?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Steppers by their very nature does produce audible whines and hums. Does it work fine otherwise?

Grinding noises aren't normal. Humming while idle, whining while running is. Magnetic resonance

Fred Marriott likes this.
  3. Fred Marriott

Builder

no ... it has to be run slow and sometimes stutters... and it is way more then a few hums and whines ... I bought the machine ( 1515 lead) in nov , used the router until I kept burning them out because I do a lot of production I needed something to handle bigger longer runs ... which is why I switched to a spindle , plus the added quiet of the spindle is nice too ... any suggestions?

4. Fred Marriott

Builder

no ... it has to be run slow and sometimes stutters... and it is way more then a few hums and whines ... I bought the machine ( 1515 lead) in nov , used the router until I kept burning them out because I do a lot of production I needed something to handle bigger longer runs ... which is why I switched to a spindle , plus the added quiet of the spindle is nice too ... any suggestions?

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Well, you could try describing the sounds, or grab a video - but unless we have an idea what it sounds like, it might be harder to offer advice.

You say it coincides with the Spindle install - have you tested with the Spindle power off?
    Did you make any wiring changes? (Even unintentional like tugging on motor wiring possibly unseating loose connections?)
    Did you make any config changes around the same time (Grbl Settings > Acceleration/MaxRate/etc?)

6. Fred Marriott

Builder

Ok here is a video … let me know what you think

Attached Files:

7. Fred Marriott

Builder

And here is another before I bought the new black box … but the new sounds the same

Attached Files:

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Any comments on the questions? From the video I just hear normal stepper motor sounds - nothing off there

Seeing as its is a watercooled spindle (very heavy) we would have suggested turning acceleration and max rate down to compensate for the increased load, so if its all still the same the motors will be working a little harder with that heavy spindle - and sounds just fine to us.

But you did mention stalling earlier, so likely you forgot to retune acceleration/max rate after adding the extra weight.

9. Fred Marriott

Builder

Is there anyway you can walk me through that process ? I've search online but everything is specific to that manufacture and build .. I do have experience running the machine ( from other shops ) but I did not have a hand in the setup , if that makes sense ?

10. Peter Van Der Walt

11. Fred Marriott

Builder

Thanks a lot Peter , i was able to get it dialed in and back in production!

David the swarfer likes this.