Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Squareing up

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colin Mccourt, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

When squaring up a piece of timber on the machine spoilerboard what is the best way to achieve this...
    I am used to a large industrial Glass CNC which automatically sets your guide stops and suction cup positions prior to material placement and cutting.....Whats the best way people square up their jobs (x-y axis) on a desktop Workbee?
    Is it beyond the realms of possibility to construct a 90 degree L shape, slotted and bolted down into my D nuts as a method of achieving this...?

#1 Colin Mccourt, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi Colin, I have done very little with my machine yet, but one of the first things I did was to use a fine engraving bit to scribe parallel lines on x and y axes. I just used the jog controls for this and I now have a grid engraved on my spoiler board at 100mm spacing.
    Regards
    Alex.

GrayUK and Colin Mccourt like this.
  3. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Thats a nice touch @Alex Chambers
    What I'm used to hahaha which is a little different lol The white disks are the squaring up nodes which pop up when I position the glass and retract
    when the suction disks take over to hold the piece in place...This is 10mm trimmed chamfered and polished all round, auto tool changer...multiple passes.

#3 Colin Mccourt, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi Colin, have you got your machine yet? Did you want some of the greenhouse clips I used to hold my x axis limit switch wire in place? Alex.

5. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Not yet buddy, They said the turnaround was 15 days, I've about 3 days left on that assumption...I cant wait to get going and see what I can and cant achieve...I get some clips off you shortly....I need to finish this bedroom decorating malarkey and then major garage clear-out to get to where I want to be...Need to build the workbench (or commandeer an existing one) and some kind of PC console/monitor mount...Lots to do...

6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

What I do is make a spoilboard that is larger than the cutting area in the x axis. Then, when you face your spoilboard, you will have two parallel ridges on each side. Then you can place your material down and it will be square with the x axis and parallel to the y. By doing this, you could place a framing square down along this ridge to square up your material. Then remove the square before cutting. What I did was use this ridge to cut my own smaller square out of 3mm ABS plastic so it takes up less space. I can post a picture later.

7. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks @Giarc I appreciate your reply...Its great to see how other folks are managing even the simpliest of tasks
    Pics of your work would be good

8. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

A little late on my reply, but first pic is the raised edge on the waste board. This was as far to the left as my 1" surfacing bit sould reach. Then I places some 2 mm acrylic next to it and milled out a square to line pieces up (Second pic).

IMG_20190203_210815126.jpg IMG_20190203_211058350.jpg

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  9. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Good job! :thumbsup:
    A picture saves ........ :D

Giarc and Colin Mccourt like this.