Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Spindle suggestion?

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by JasonNJ732, Jun 14, 2021.

1. JasonNJ732

Builder

I have the Lead 1515 and think I run too many jobs for a standard mounted router. I would like to get a true spindle added to this machine. I only cut wood so I don’t know which spindle others are using. Would like to keep it 120v if possible? Anyone have suggestions of ones that last? I worry about the cheapest ones dying on me.
    Thanks!!

Jay

SKYoung likes this.
  2. Hassan Hares

Builder

Hello Jay,
    I am also looking for a spindle for a Lead 1515 I am planning to buy. what are did you find?

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

4. Hassan Hares

Builder

Thank you for your response. I am new to this. my understanding is that these are not very powerful. For harder material, what do u recommend that is more powerful, and the speed can be controlled automatically.

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

It's not about power, it's about balance. The spindle has to be balanced to the system which is why Peter makes the recommendations he does. He knows the systems and what balances well with them. Larger systems are not rigid enough to handle extremely powerful routers especially if you expect to push them with ease though harder materials. It doesn't work that way. The system flexes and the router takes the path of least resistance.

As you can't buy the ones Peter recommends without buying a whole system (something you already have) I would suggest looking into one of the digital input versions of the MM-1000.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Peter Van Der Walt

:) You can't put a massive V8 engine, into a small city car :) - same thing here: See How to calculate V-Slot® deflection - the added weight and higher horsepower cutting forces, work against the frame - and the 1515 is a big span already.

For harder material your "cutting recipe" matters - not the router. It has to be pushed at an appropriate speed, feed, and depth of cut.

Another reason to pick a plain router over something fancier.... It gets the job done, without the added complexity of a complete VFD setup, water cooling lines, and EMI mitigation needed for more advanced spindle options. Saves on the learning curve

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Of course you can! ;)

Power.png

It's just not always practical. :D

Giarc and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  8. Hassan Hares

Builder

Thank you for the response and the advice to both of you. I don't have the system yet. I am planning on buying the OpenBuilds LEAD CNC Machine 1515 (60" x 60") is why I am asking about the spindle option. So based on my understanding of your responses, I have the following options/recommendation for this machine size:
    1. Manul control
    2. Automatics Control
      • STEPCRAFT MM-1000 Watt Milling Spindle
    I am correct in my conclusion?

9. Peter Van Der Walt

10. Hassan Hares

Builder

You are correct power on/off only—no speed control.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

(; speed 1 for plastics, 3 for everything else. Chipload is a combination of feedrate and rpm, so most of us never touch the dial (; - we just dial in the appropriate feedrate in CAM

12. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I prefer the "manual" speed control. You can tell a lot about how the machine is cutting by the sound it is making. If it sounds "off" you can manually turn the dial up and down until it sounds "right." I do this a lot when using a new end mill or cutting a new material.