Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Spindle Speed slows during air travel.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Lorne Smith, Jun 3, 2024.

1. Lorne Smith

Builder

I am running a water cooled spindle connected to a VFD controlled by OB machine control through X32 Black Box. I am generating CNC code using EstlcamV12. I am attempting to learn wood inlays. During an air move in a carving operation the spindle will immediately slow down to the point that it is grinding and shuddering when re-engaging the workpiece. It takes a few seconds to get back up to speed.
    I do not like this. It can create a mess I and have spent 2 days searching for a way to control it. I set the minimum speed at a high level but this command is ignored.
    What is delivering the speed turn-off signal? Is it Estlcam, the VFD, Open Builds or the Black Box? Or is it something I am missing? Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks, Lorne.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Maybe did you set Laser Mode to Enabled in Grbl Settings by mistake?

Lorne Smith likes this.
  3. Lorne Smith

Builder

Wow! I did not even know such a setting existed but it was enabled by some mysterious set of circumstances. I look forward to running a test to verify it solved the problem. Thank you for helping with my frustrations. I seem to learn something new every day as long as I pay attention. Lorne.