Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Spindle speed and cooling issue

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by ypsiwoodcrafts, Mar 22, 2022.

1. ypsiwoodcrafts

Builder

Hey folks, looking for some guidance. I setup my quenbe pro 1515 using the open builds black box using a 1.5kw Huanyang spindle and VFD, followed the wiring setup and vfd settings per the video linked below (which is also linked in a lot of the forum posts on here).
    Everything is operational, I can control the spindle via openbuilds controller software.

I went to cut the Hello World test cut and noticed immediately that the bit was smoking as it cut. I turned it off right away.

Tried it again after making sure the water coolant (50/50 mix of water & antifreeze) was connected properly, which it appeared to be. I don’t have the pump connected to the controller so just manually power it on and can see the liquid flowing into the spindle.

I did another test by turning on the spindle to full speed of 24k RPM, manually jogged the bit into the test piece and even with this it was smoking a bit but not as much.

Last test was turn the spindle on to full speed, then started the job for cutting out a simple square and as soon as I started it the spindle speed slowed drastically before it plunged down and started to smoke a lot.

Makes me think the spindle isn’t actually getting cooled and secondly that something is causing the spindle to not reach full speed.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to look for so I can hopefully get this fixed?

Thanks in advance.

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It is probably running in reverse so the endmill is not cutting properly. It should turn clockwise.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The coolant cools the Spindle motor windings, not the bit.

ypsiwoodcrafts likes this.
  4. ypsiwoodcrafts

Builder

Update that the spindle was indeed spinning in reverse. Easy fix by swapping two wires at the VFD.
    Thanks!

Giarc likes this.