Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Spindle running slowly help please

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Juju, Sep 22, 2023.

1. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

Thank you for your help I test, I decided to reconnect the pin, on the blackbox... while waiting to find a solution to connect a laser to it see my post above if you have any ideas. In short, I reconnect as before. I turn on the blackbox, the vdf and the problem is that the spindle is idling and the vdf then indicates 013.64 it's Hz it seems to be working I don't understand why it does this. and since openbuild control I can neither increase nor lower the operation of the spindle to zero. I did a black box reset, checked the parameters, checked the vdf parameters, connection file... I can't find any problems, do you have any ideas? Thanks again for your time. Julian

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You forgot to set VFDs min freq parameters. Should fire up under 100hz for water cooled or 120hz for air cooled. See VFD manual

3. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

no I checked the vdf parameters again it's ok. When the vdf is running the spindle does not work, it is from the moment I have the blackbox powered on I do not know if it can help you find my problem, I am a cabinetmaker and I really have urgently need help so thank you. I don't understand because everything seems ok. I have my A2 series variator which is well connected and the parameters are good, the box ok the files are well connected, the parameters in openbuild control are ok. Is it possible that the GND port and/or 0/10V port are more functional? the machine works but not the spindle even if I turn on the spindle in openbuild control nothing happens. an other idea ?

4. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

I have the spindle which always turns a bit I have no control over it when I turn on the blackbox without openbuild control the spindle works the same at low speed. if it can guide you

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, because You have not set up Min Freq on the VFD properly. Pwm is Never 0v thats why every VFD has that setting

6. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

I don't really understand, because for over a year with the current settings it has still worked. and now you tell me that a different setting will solve my problem with the pin not responding in the openbuild control. So if I find this min frequency setting. In openbuild control on, off for activation will work again? because nothing at all, I can understand that there is a minimum in terms of frequency but in this case I would still have the possibility of varying the speed or even 100% activation, right? sorry I'm trying to understand all this. great in any case your help relieves me a little, I'm going to see that. but when I put it into service a long time ago now there was never any question in the settings in my frequency because it is already preset it seems to me. in any case I took the settings from the instructions provided for the installation of the vdf..

7. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

I will give you feedback on your recommendations in the meantime have a good evening or day

8. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

Hello, all the vdf parameters are correct and the variation and manage by the openbuild blackbox via the 0/10v port that measures the voltage between the gnd port and port 0/10v and 0.41v is this how the we proceed? if I lower via the 0/10v aim to the min 0.36v there is nothing to connect except the power supply and the blackbox is this normal? I'm trying to find out where the fact that I can't control the intensity of this port comes from. how can I check the variation that it appears correctly, because when I indicate 50% for the spindle speed in openbuild control between the gnd and 0/10v always 0.41v nothing changes should we control otherwise? THANKS

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Nothing special here. Just Min Freq not set correctly. See it often...

Spindle max 24000rpm = 10v
    Spindle recommended min = 7200 rpm
    7200 / 24000 = 0.3 x 10v = 3v
    A CORRECTLY set up VFD will NOT spin up a spindle until the 0-10v signal reaches AT LEAST 3.0v.

0.4v is well below 3V so would do absolutely nothing to a CORRECTLY set up spindle.

3-10v scales the Spindles allowed speeds of 7200-24000rpm

Reread the VFD manual, or contact the VFD vendor for details how to correctly set it up. Bad Min Freq can very easily burn out the spindle windings or pop VFD IGBTs. Its a critical part of VFD Set Up process...
    In a purely manual setup it should be done too, as you can accidentally turn the dial too low. But perhaps you never accidentally did (peace in not knowing) but it is still important. Now adding an external input reveals the fact its never been done right

David the swarfer likes this.
  10. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

Thank you for this valuable information, but I am talking about the blackbox the 0.4V measured between the 0/10v pin and the gnd pin. In the blackbox logic power it but not connected to the vdf if in openbuild control I vary the spindle speed percentage example 50% at the pin output check with a voltmeter there should be a voltage difference right? because I read this on the openbuild site. but in my case there is no variation. in short if I activate the pin in openbuild control nothing changes at the voltage level (0/10v of the blackbox) however if I indicate 100% spindle speed, at the output I must logically find 10v, but the between pin gnd, 0/ 10v is still 0.4V. Can the fact of having connected a laser to the GND, PWN port of the blackbox and 24v power supply cause the blackbox to malfunction if the laser was not compatible? Thank you in any case I understand your speech well thank you, but once again I looked at each parameter of the vdf and this one and correctly programmed as indicated in the instructions. the PN vdf series A2. pn 32=3, pn03=4, pn05=3, pn07=2, pn08=2.00, pn09=5.00, pn19=4,

11. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

Pn 11 min frequency 1,5hz max 400hz

12. Peter Van Der Walt

The 0-10v output should scale +-0 to +-10v yes. See docs:blackbox-x32:connect-vfd [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Well yes, if something killed the PWM section of the BlackBox it would not work correctly - did you have issues with this laser you mention? The 0-10 section runs off the same PWM (microcontroller > pwm > opamp > 0-10v)

We can't help with VFD parameters, ask the vendor you purchased from, but the concept of Minimum Frequency exists on all of them. Cross check our VFD writeups for other VFDs to understand the concept (safe min before spindle is enabled to prevent running below its 6000/7200rpm min) and apply the concept to your VFD by examination of its manual

13. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

So ok since I plugged in to try the laser on the pins as indicated gnd, pwn and power. I am no longer able to have a 0v to 10v voltage variation with the control of the box and I assure you that I have all the right settings, I have fully installed the cnc workbee, blackbox... and everything works very good for over a year and I haven't changed anything in the settings so I don't see why today would be different. it's from the laser connection so you can confirm to me that a non-compatible laser can damage the blackbox? Thank you again a thousand times sir for your expertise which helps me enormously to understand this problem! which for me and very important as I just opened my business. Is it possible to repair a blackbox with this variation problem which no longer works? I checked the fuse just in case but no. I don't really know what to do. Amazon offers to reimburse me for the damage if I can prove through the blackbox supplier or a repairer that it is indeed the laser that is at fault. so pay attention dear marker to this laser tree LT-4LDS-V2 model

14. Peter Van Der Walt

Absolutely, bad quality chinese module by any chance? Accidentally incorrectly wired?

Well, unless you have Laser Mode enabled? Surely to test the laser, you did the laser related settings? Post a Grbl Settings backup for review

15. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

You really don't have to be careful about this mistake and then before connecting the power supply I checked 3 times that everything was correct ^^ actually Chinese laser but the price is still quite high for a poor quality product
    yes indeed for the laser, the laser mode in the openbuild controller was active and of course deactivated when connecting the pin. I'm unlucky in any case here I am without a manchine. I will do what is necessary with Amazon to be able to be reimbursed. And make a new purchase of a blackbox. I will report back to you if everything is back to normal... have a good day

16. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

how can I have this request for a refund? Amazon asks me for a document from the manufacturer confirming that the item is the cause of the damage noted.

Attached Files:

17. Peter Van Der Walt

Unfortunately we can't provide a definite report for you, as there are a lot of variables at play, also cannot rule out user error.

As for the Grbl Settings - screenshots (well even harder photos of the screen) are hard to read. Use the Backup Settings button to get a text file and post that.

That said, did check what you posted and settings is correct. M3S24000 should output 10v
    Make sure 24v PSU is on and working (quick check BlackBox Fan is spinning?)

18. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

ok I'm sorry for the quality of the photos, in any case I assure you that I know how to diagnose a simple problem, once again the files, various settings are good, I checked and rechecked and again the whole process. This is why I am calling on your expertise. There is apparently no problem with the blackbox not providing a voltage variation. and yet there is a problem, so I only see the blackbox which had a problem with the laser connection. unfortunately a reset doesn't change anything. the power supply is actually ok that's the first thing I checked all the ventilation is working correctly. As I told you, my only mistake was to have connected the laser :( as indicated in the product instructions and the parameters in the blackbox were also correct to operate the laser (laser mode). so I did not have other solutions than to return it against the seller of this laser...

19. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

'm stuck, and with my means the repurchase of this blackbox will be complicated. I hope amazon will recognize the possibility that this device is the cause of the problem without openbuild documentation. well thank you for your feedback and your patience

20. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

21. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

Thank you yes indeed apart from my problem, if I launch a g-code operation the motors do not work and the machine processes the g-code correctly... but the spindle does not always respond at low speed as described previously. finally the stepper motor light on the blackbox lights up green. I don't see a problem with a malfunction, it's very strange all the same... or so bad luck, defective laser, but it seems to be a good product...

22. Juju

Juju New
    Builder

sorry the motors work very well