Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Spindle control (pwm/start)

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Bertie64, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Bertie64

Bertie64 New
    Builder

Hi from France... first post from a complete novice to this world so bear with me!

I'm about to take the plunge and order a mechanical kit for the C-Beam Machine (standard) to dip my toes into CNC.
    Looking at my spindle options I'm considering getting an AMB DI spindle with speed controlled by 0-10V input.

Its a bit more expensive but i figure if its one less thing i need to worry about setting (assuming i set all this in Fusion already) then that can only be good...

I will be using an Arduino Uno (R3) and a Synthetos gShield (v5b) to control my motors, with a DFRobot screw shield (v3) between the two to give me easy access the pins.

Reading the grbl (1.1 - not sure which release) config header file I can see that #define VARIABLE_SPINDLE is enabled and that I need to connect my PWM/0-10V converter via pin 11 to control the speed.

Reading further i can see that if I want to use a relay to turn the spindle power ON/OFF then I need to use pin 13... with the caveat that pin 13 toggles during start-up

I can also see from the specs of the AWB spindle that it will not function without a signal on the 0-10V...

These two things combined suggest to me that the toggling of pin 13 should not be a problem as long as no signal is being sent via pin 11 during startup.

I assume no signal is being sent on pin 11 until one is triggered in gcode...

So, after all that, my questions are:

Q1. Are my assumptions, and understanding of the config.h file correct?
    Q2. If the spindle isn't going to do anything until something is sent from pin 11 - Do I even need to worry about a relay for power to the spindle?
    Is there anything bad about having it turned on and powered with no signal to the 0-10V input on the spindle?

And finally: Q3. I also have a Synthetos TinyG board (I was saving for a bigger build in the future) that I could use. Would this give me any advantages?

I have considered just going for the BlackBox and simply plugging everything in to the relevant slots, but I do like to try and understand what I'm doing and this seems like as good a time as any for that...

I'm going to have a lot more questions as time goes by I know, but for now I'm just trying to get my head around how everything 'should', hopefully, fit together....

TIA.

#1 Bertie64, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021