Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Spindle control problems with XPro V4

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by ljvb, Nov 29, 2020.

1. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

See the video below for a visual of the issue.
    Needless to say, it is annoying. First, I don't think the spindle is running at full speed at all (25k), and when I set the speed to 500 above it's minimum (which is 3500 or so), it shuts off. Anything other than full speed does the revving up and down of the spindle speed as seen in the video.
    It is an AMB 1400 DI spindle. It is wired to a 30A 240 circuit (the spindle operates on both 50 and 60Hz).
    Connections to the controller.. I have tried them all.. The spindle has 3 wires.
    Ground (0V according the the documentation) - I have connected this to the ground terminal next to the spindle control, as well as the ground next to the 24V out terminal which is near the external driver terminals, and for shits and giggles, to the - terminal on the power supply directly
    Spindle control, 0 - 10V is connected to the variable spindle terminal
    And a 10 - 26V connection (according to the manual for "For Power Supply). This one I have connected to the 24v output terminal near the external driver blocks, as well as directly to the power supply..

I'm wondering if I got a dud...

Any ideas...
    Edit: removing the video, not at the request of anyone (and the video itself is not published, it requires a direct link), but after talking with the vendor, I chose to remove the video to avoid the possibility that someone may view the video in a negative context of the product. I believe we have narrowed down the problem to the board per the comment Peter made above. I will continue to troubleshoot though. I had planned on replacing the controller anyways.

#1 ljvb, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  2. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

Slight bump.

I measured the voltage across the spindle control and ground.. and after setting a specific speed.. I am seeing fluctuations in the voltage, it is not constant, which according to the vendor that sold me the AMB spindle, might be the cause of the spindle speed being inconsistent.

There any way to troubleshoot the XPro v4 board?, could this be a firmware issue?

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The signal is more of a PWM signal, you can smooth it out with a 10-100uF cap over the output

4. ljvb

ljvb Well-Known
    Builder

I'll give it a try, but I should not have to. The board should be stable enough to control the signal well enough to not cause the spindle to freak out.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Should is relative. The caps on the board is far away from the inputs on the other end by the spindle. Add some near the input