Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Speeds & Feeds

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Logan Blankenship, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Logan Blankenship

Builder

Hey everyone,

I have the Lead 1515 machine and it's been working pretty great for me. One thing I'm looking to explore is seeing where I can speed things up. I currently use fusion360 for my CAM and use the default feeds and speeds specified for my bits. I noticed there are feed and speed overrides on the Openbuilds interface controller and have tried bumping my speed up on there to test it out.

I was curious if there is any guideline for increasing these numbers. Like if you up your speed by 10% should you do the same for your feed? Interested to see what everyone else has done.

Thanks!
    Logan

2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Feed rate = chip load x RPM x number of flutes. Your spindle speed (RPM) and chip load should be appropriate for the material you're cutting. You might need to consider depth of cut if you up the feed rate. The final parameter to check (for home builds like ours) is the "number of flutes" the cutter has. With 2 flutes for example, the feed rate doubles so it's a question of "can my machine handle it"?
    It's just a matter of finding the sweet spot for your particular machine that yields good performance without undue stress.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.