Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Speed of ooznest workbee

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Hogkiller, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Hogkiller

Hogkiller New
    Builder

Hi, please tell me what max IPM workbee runs? Thanks

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

If you just want max speed, then it depends on if you are using belts or screws. If you mean for cutting, then it depends on materials, cutter, and other variables.

sharmstr likes this.
  3. Hogkiller

Hogkiller New
    Builder

thanks, just a ball park, say 1/4 inch cut on quality sanded plywood, or on oak hardwood? I am considering moving off a very slow maslow to workbee yet I am looking for a major improvement. Thank you for your courtesy. JIM

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I use this 1/4" Freud straight flute endmill on plywood, hardwood, and HDPE. Because it is not an up-cut bit, it does not tear out the wood. I have a Makita RT0701C for my spindle and I cut hardwoods and plywood at 2500 mm/min (approximately 100 in/min) and my rule of thumb for wood is to cut down in increments of 1/2 the diameter of the endmill. I run the spindle at about 18000 rpms. If I am cutting and it sounds like the spindle is struggling, I turn the speed up. I also use 1/8" endmills with the same 2 straight flutes for smaller holes. If you do stepped down cutting like I described but leave some stock behind ( I leave about 0.3-0.5 mm) and come back around to remove this with a full depth finishing pass you will get a nice clean edge.

A word of warning: this Freud endmill as long as almost every other endmill you buy will not be the exact diameter the manufacturer claims. Rather than 6.35 mm, mine was about 6.2 mm. To get very precise fitting parts to go together, you need to measure each one with a caliper and use that measured diameter in the CAM software.