Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Spark Concepts xPro V3 Help Needed

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Harvey M, Jul 8, 2024.

1. Harvey M

Harvey M New
    Builder

I picked up a FrankenCNC at a very good price. The frame is an overkill solid build with OpenBuild high torque stepper motors, a VFD spindle, 2 xPro V3 controllers and 2 PSUs... But sadly lacking niceties like limit switches and when he mounted the laser to it he cut the spindle wires rather than open the drag chain, I did mention that I got it at a price that I more than happy with.

After downloading GRBL .9 I had the stepper motors working then bright me reads the info on upgrading to Grbl 1.1 and away I go. Well suffice to say it did not go the way I planned. I now have a nicely bricked controller. No problem I drop in the second one and it to my endless surprise it appears to come pre-bricked.

Does anyone know of a surefire way to recover these controllers. heck I'd even take a hail Mary chance.

I do plan on going with an Open Builds controller but I want to make sure that "it weel cut" (too many episodes of Forged in Fire).

Thanks in advance.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Some of the later 8bit xPros used a slightly odd microcontroller (atmega328pb instead of the more usual atmega328p) so see xPro Bootloader corrupt. How to reflash? Keywords: atmega328pb vs atmega328p, usbtiny, Arduino for some tips on how to re-bootload it. You'd need an AVR flash tool (hardware). Once it has a bootloader again you can flash Grbl, but also making sure to use 328pB compatible commands for avrdude. Using commands and tool for the non-b chip will brick it sometimes (xloader especially, it doesn't check the signature)

3. Harvey M

Harvey M New
    Builder

It is a atmega328pb. I will check out the link, thank you

4. Harvey M

Harvey M New
    Builder

I managed to recover both boards. I used AVRDude and an USBASP programmer . I flashed optiboot_m328pb.hex as the boot loader then grbl_v1.1h.20190825.hex and "THEY ARE ALIVE".

Thanx for the help