Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Some questions about the NEMA23 Stepper Motor - High Torque Series

Discussion in 'Motors' started by newtoopenbuilds, Jan 29, 2024.

1. newtoopenbuilds

Builder

Hello,

I am looking into power supply for this motor. On the product page, it states 24-48VDC (Recommended).
    As you know, most power supplies are 12V or 24V. How can I tell if 24V is sufficient? If I want to drive it at the highest torque, is 3A the maximum current I should supply before the motor gets damaged?

Also, are there gears inside this motor to make it about twice more torque than the standard NEMA 23 sold in the online store?

NEMA 23 Stepper Motor - High Torque Series - OpenBuilds Part Store

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It's a "3v" motor.
    Once you have it hooked up to a stepper driver (BlackBox or D*542MA or similar) you need a higher voltage (Stepper drivers are constant current, variable voltage) - higher input voltage than motor rating, helps with acceleration and top speed) - a 24v input is sweet. With 48v it will run even faster - but - harder to find drivers and power supplies for it.

why does stepper motors need higher supply voltage for driver - Google Search

Also see quote at bottom of the reply

No, the motor is physically larger (longer body) - thus bigger windings, more magnetic flux, more torque. Tradeoff = lower acceleration and top speed though as the larger coil windings has higher inductance and the larger piece of metal has more enertia to spin up.

How? How about all the thousands of OpenBuilds CNC machines running off BlackBox and our 24v PSU :) - we custom spec'ed those motors to be a great match for our 24v based control system

3. newtoopenbuilds

Builder

Thank you for your information. I shall go for a 24V PSU instead of a 48V PSU then. How many watt PSU do you recommend for this motor?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. newtoopenbuilds

Builder