Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

SolidWorks

Discussion in 'Other Software' started by pjarmstrong, Dec 5, 2013.

1. pjarmstrong

Builder

Your place for discussions on the use of SolidWorks for 3DPrinting, CNC routing, etc.

Mark Carew likes this.
  2. Angela Hornback

Builder

Ok Im a newbie to the CNC world. Im learing all I can up front. I have started collecting my parts for my machine. but the software is confusing me. I use solidworks Im a Mechanical Designer at my day job. I wanna cut out cool stuff at home.
    Tu run these things do I have to write code? cant I just send it a file like a dxf similar to my vinyl cutter? Or do I have to do more? I draw DXF for the BIG LASERS at work. and send them to be loaded... am I overloading my boat? Im afraid I will get this thing built and not be able to use it LOL

3. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Just a general explanation...

Whereas vinyl cutters developed using the HPGL route CNC machines developed using the Gcode route. The result is that most CAD/CAM software incorporates a ‘post-processor’ which will convert a DFX (or other type of drawing that you create) into the appropriate Gcode to be used with your CNC machine. So you don’t actually have to write the Gcode yourself but from drawing to machine there is an interim process that has to be carried out.

There are some other systems, such as DSP which use CorelDraw (the last of the major players to support HPGL), which will allow sending from drawing to machine but they are mainly used with laser machines, vinyl cutters, etc. rather than CNC machines.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie

4. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

There are add-ons for Solidworks such as SolidCAM and HSMWorks that are able to generate toolpaths from your 3D models. Those will generate the necessary G-code to be allow machine control software to translate that into movement.

And Vectric software (at least Aspire) can output directly to the machine.

Gerald

#4 Hytech2k, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Angela Hornback likes this.