Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

software

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Tracy5, May 17, 2022.

1. Tracy5

Tracy5 New
    Builder

My question is about carveco software. I purchased the $15 monthly subscription . I was looking to do 3D carves . Before purchasing a file I messaged a seller on etsy about his files and the software I have to make sure that I was going to be able to carve the file . He messaged me back and said he didn't think his files would work with carveco , so he sent me a free file to see if it would work in carveco software . As I've stated in previous conversations I'm not knowledgeable about software at all . Everything I've learned with the openbuilds cam I've learned from videos on utube and just playing with it . But this 3D software is getting the better of me . I understand this isn't a machining question , but I'm not sure where to ask . Software is very expensive . I was hoping to be able to get by with the $15 monthly subscription . I have watched so many utube videos ,and I'm at a loss to learn this software . Any guidance would be greatly appreciated .

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. Tracy5

Tracy5 New
    Builder

Thank you for responding, I will check out the link you sent . If I could ask one more question. I am very familiar with purchasing svgs and converting an image to svg for my cricut, but when purchasing a file for cnc , how do I know it will work in the software due to the seller stating he didn’t think his files would work with carveco?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Broadly speaking, docs:software:file-errors [OpenBuilds Documentation] applies - if the file is not made for CNC work, it probably won't work as is. In addition to the typical closed vector / svg paths - when you get to 3D files you'll typically import STL or other 3D formats and they also need to be "correct" - what exactly that entails is a lengthy discussion of waterproof models, vertex face directions and polygon counts - but in essence you can repair most STLs in tools like Nettfab and others.

Rather, follow the tutorials and learn to draw your own artwork - being dependant on others is painful - if you learn to prep and create the artworks yourself, you know what you need it to do, what is has to look like, and you create it properly from the start. Learning curve takes some time but well worth it

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Have you tried importing .stl files from Thingiverse to experiment with? If you search cnc in Thingiverse it should turn up a bunch of free ones to test out.

6. Tracy5

Tracy5 New
    Builder

Yes that’s my goal to learn to create files myself. I’ll keep plugging away , thank you for your help.

7. Tracy5

Tracy5 New
    Builder

No I haven’t tried to do that , because I’m not educated on working with software, it takes me a little longer to learn . Thank you for sharing this , I’ll keep plugging away at it .