Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Software/Firmware Updates

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Bug Report' started by dlp, Apr 4, 2023.

Tags:
  1. dlp

dlp New
    Builder

The v1.0364 update for Openbuilds Control broke the software giving an error on restart:
    "The procedure entry point GetPackageFamilyName could not be located in te dynamic link library Kernel32.dll."
    Tried manually downloading it from the website, installing as admin, but the same thing.
    I had v1.0.341 running on a Win7 64-bit laptop. Seems like a minor revision looking at the version numbers, but I wonder if it's no longer Win7 compatible.
    Reinstalling the old version and it runs fine. Maybe link to the old versions on your download page would be helpful.

Also on the auto-firmware update on my Blackbox, I'd suggest forcing the user to restart the controller afterwards. Mine wouldn't move one of the Y servos during a home which was just not nice. Worked fine after manually lining up the two sides again and rebooting the controller.

Thanks much.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Please try to stay up-to-date on operating systems too. Windows 7 is retired: See Microsoft Windows (8 and 8.1 too, 10's been available since 2015)

Farewell, Windows 7/8/8.1 | Electron (CONTROL is built on Electron23)

Unlikely to be related to firmware update, if a motor (those are stepper motors, not servos) stops moving, rather check for the FAULT LED: See 2nd half of docs:blackbox-x32:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation] power cycling clears the fault, but would be wise to check why it happened, else it will happen again, but possibly at a very inconvenient moment. Wiring, Current Settings, PSU issue, etc - see the link for more info.

We prefer users run up-to-date setups. Old versions have old bugs that's long been fixed (which will cause you frustration), misses out on new features (which leads to users being upset when seeing new features on others' projects, social media etc), and increases the support load (chasing issues related to old bugs thats long been fixed, users typically neglect to say they refuse to update, support continues with the assumption it is up-to-date). Up-to-date software is for your benefit, not ours. Timely support, newest features, bugs all fixes, security updates up to date, nice valid certificates... all good things