Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Soft limits exceeded with Continuous jogglng

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by brrian, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

One STRONG morning coffee later, another very close look at the code, and I GOT IT!

You sir, are Keyboard jogging right! And I'm testing by clicking the buttons!!! Arrrg, why didn't I think of that!

Man, I forgot totally that Keyboard jogging has its own Jog commands attached! I will add the distance lookup to that code right away and get you a working version to update to!

David the swarfer likes this.
  2. Peter Van Der Walt

3. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

Yes sir, keyboard jogging. Always. I'm at work but I'll test & confirm it works later tonight. I'm sure it will.

I'm happy to help, and super appreciative of, and impressed by how you handled all of this. Thank you!

While I have your attention - two feature requests (and I'm sure there's records of these requests somewhere, and I don't know where that is yet, and you can point me to it & rub my nose in it if you want...):

1 - It think it would be nice to have the ability to have custom machine profile names and the ability to load (import) and export those. So, once I get my settings correct I could save / export them to something descriptive like "My WorkBee 1515". I could then play with settings for whatever reason (maybe something like this jogging issue), and when finished simply import my correct settings again. Maybe there's even uses for multiple profiles; for example, one with typical 'safe' machine settings and one with relaxed settings when you need to get creative.

2 - Have you considered adding the ability to move the graphics view (or entire lower window) either to the side, or into its own window entirely? On a widescreen monitor I'd love to be able to blow up the graphics window nice & big, next to the control interface.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

We manage those via Github, project overview board over here: Build software better, together

Custom profiles: the Profile just populates the settings lower down, its not really ideal to be able to save/overwrite/etc - that dropdown's sole purpose is to populate the values for a default OpenBuilds machine. A backup/restore settings button that downloads it for safe keeping though, has been on my personal todo for a while

Breaking out the window is a consideration, but (; checkout that todo first, more pressing stuff in the queue (always lol)

5. brrian

brrian Well-Known
    Builder

Success!

Just one thing I noticed. A double tap still brings up the limit error. What I think might be happening is, your formula calculates to move the length of the machine minus 1mm (right?). On the second tap of a double tap the machine is still moving (decelerating?) and the calculated movement becomes longer than the actual distance left. That's not a great explanation but I think you'll understand? I don't really think it's a big deal though.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes we cannot know where it is until it comes to a standstill. Tap slower (;

7. rscamp

rscamp Well-Known
    Builder

Just today I started setting up a Workbee 1050 with the BlackBox controller. I must say this has been really easy to set up. You have done a good job with this!

However, right away I noticed the "Jog target exceeds machine travel" error with soft limits active in continuous jog mode.

Then I found this thread.

Proper soft limit operation is a powerful feature from a machine usability standpoint. I think proper behaviour in continuous jog mode with the jog button continuously depressed would be to decelerate at the axis acceleration rate to zero speed when the soft limit position is reached. Is this possible to achieve, Peter?

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Grbl checks the length of the move if Soft Limits is enabled, prior to executing the move, and wont allow you to move far enough to accidentally hit the limit in the first place. So any move will be a controller deceleration, as expected

Hard Limits on the other hand is an uncontrolled immediate stop, so require rehoming/rezeroing if you hit a hard limit

This thread dealt with adapting CONTROL to check where we are before issuing a move so we can send the maximum distance allowed in the command, to handle jog start/stop elegantly (button down -> send machine to max travel available in that direction minus 1mm margin, button up, send Jog Cancel realtime command)

Grbl Wiki is a must read :) - github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki

#38 Peter Van Der Walt, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  9. rscamp

rscamp Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for the clarification Peter. I have used plasma/oxy and fiber laser machines that jog as I described and I guess I'll miss that functionality. :)