Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

SKETCHUCAM Setting starting point

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by jbell, Jan 29, 2022.

1. jbell

jbell New
    Builder

I'm using sketucam which I have no problem with. From the start point y-0, x-0, it will go to where I have the work set in sketchucam and start cutting. I have to do some real precision work and I would like to be able to set the bit to the point where I want to start cutting. The way it works now is that it travels from wherever the y-0, x-0 is set the same distance to start the cut. Is there a way I can set the bit on the point where I want to cut and start cutting from there? I'm using the openbuilds black box.

2. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

In SketchUcam there is an option to set the 0,0 at any point of the work piece you would like. For example, you can set the 0,0 to the center of a circle, than on your material you decide where you want the center of the circle to be end then you set the Work Space Coordinates to that point and the machine will cut the circle exactly where you've set it.

Look at the manuals or look for the hour glass icon.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Use the zeroffset tool
    SketchUcam Toolbar (and read all of the rest of that manual too! knowledge is power!)
    also see

or set a plunge hole near where you want it to start (outside the part of course), 1% deep. Now group the part and the hole together.
    why? because groups cut first, and groups inside groups cut first, so it will go and do the hole then go to to the nearest point on the part and start there.

4. jbell

jbell New
    Builder

I did find something in the instructions which works great, thanks. I clicked on the X in sketchucam and that was it. I now have another problem. When I am starting work the bit moves into the work area and does a plunge and then moves back to the 00 point. Any suggestion for that problem?

5. David the swarfer

please post your sketchup file

6. jbell

jbell New
    Builder

I did the first2 pages, hope that's enough. Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Attach the actual sketchup .SKP file please (using the same Upload a File button, but select your skp file) - so David can see the CAD and CAM setups you have in there

upload_2022-2-2_21-28-23.png

Not the just screenshots of the resulting GCODE file :)

David the swarfer likes this.
  8. jbell

jbell New
    Builder

Is this what is needed? 35 is the original drawing with the X starting point. I did not cut this out . I used the off set and enlarged it by 6mm and using the same 00 coordinates that I set for 35, cut it out.

Attached Files:

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Those are still screenshots.... We need the actual Sketchup File...

10. jbell

jbell New
    Builder

I think I might have got it right this time.

Attached Files:

11. David the swarfer

Thankyou
    Nothing wrong with the file at all so my guess is that you had something selected when you generated the Gcode and it actually did not generate the whole cut since SketchUcam will generate only for selected things if things are selected, otherwise it does everything inside the safe area.

I see you have 100"/min plunge rate and 30"/min cut rate. Plunge rates are usually lower than the cut rate because router bits are not drills, they do not drill well so have to run slower on the plunge operations. I would set the plunge rate to equal or lower than the cut rate.

However, I would avoid plunging entirely by setting 'Ramping' to on. The bit will be ramped into the work, thus avoiding plunging entirely. So the start of layers becomes little zigzags like this
    upload_2022-2-3_10-22-15.png

These are the settings I would use.... with a possible change to 'overhead gantry'. Set to ticked this will cut anticlockwise. cutting clockwise may leave a better finish (depends on wood and bit and machine stiffness). I would do some test cuts on scraps to figure out the best settings then save it as a profile for this bit and wood combination, makes it easy to load later for new projects.

At 30"/min and 15000rpm you are only cutting 0.001" per tooth. This is not going to produce chips but powder. Better to produce chips that clear out of the cut more easily, so less rpm or more Feedrate should give you better results.

upload_2022-2-3_10-18-47.png

12. jbell

jbell New
    Builder

Thanks for that I'm going to try out the changes now.