Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

sketch u cam inside cut not working

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Simon Dunn, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Simon Dunn

Builder

I'm pretty new to sketchup and cnc but I'm getting on with most things ok but keep hitting immovable barriers. Carefully following instructions on creating an inside toolpath on a drawing. seems to work fine unless its on the design I actually want to cut, any test I try works just not my drawing. I realised that it doesnt like the component as drawn as it already has the cut outs. So I redrew some features so they had faces then tried the inside cut tool again. occasionally it works but usually puts down an incomplete path and doesn't show the cut out. The plot gcode thing doesn't seem to work either so I cant preview anything. I have at the moment a 3018 machine so I can get to grips with the process before building something more substantial. I realise the work area is not set up properly, just trying to make a start here. File enclosed. Any help greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

aargh, your file requires Sketchup version 21 which I do not have (and will never have), please use 'save as' and select the version to Make2016 and post that file for me to look at.

3. Simon Dunn

Builder

Try that one. Which legacy version is best or is it just that you are used to yours? I only started on sketch up in November and just bought a years license last week. Its the only drawing program I've ever managed to get on with, really dont want to have to use anything different just for CNC stuff. Just tried the openbuilds gcode generator, that seems to work ok if you save the file as a jpg or png but it didnt like a dxf

Attached Files:

4. Simon Dunn

Builder

it didnt have an option for 'make2016' hope i chose the right one

5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

Best, for me, is still Sketchup 8 (-: I have Sketchup Make 2017 installed only for testing SketchUcam development, I do not use it for much except this sort of 'sorting out drawings'.

For older hardware I recommend Sketchup Make 2016 since it does not require advanced graphics hardware like 2017 and up do.

DXF for openbuilds CAM has to be 'Polyline R14' format, and getting the various drawing programs to output that is outside my sphere of expertise.

I have attached 2 files. One is obviously the edited Sketchup file. the other is a short video I made while I was editing it to try and explain the problems in the drawing and how to fix them.

Attached Files:

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Simon Dunn likes this.