Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

single stroke cutting problem

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Kevl4r, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Kevl4r

Kevl4r New
    Builder

Hello there,

I have finally finished my LEAD 1515 CNC Plasma cutter with floating head.
    It works well. I have yet to tune it for production quality pieces. But it's nice.

However, in the free OpenBuild cam software I am encountering a behavior that I find irksome when I have a single stroke tu cut, the software always wants to cut back to the initial point. It may be by design. I don't know. But as I see it the software should only cut the strokes that are visible on the workspace and not extrapolate what should be cut.

On the picture below, I have the stroke of the "s" letter. And I want the plasma stream to cut only the visible stroke, yet the CAM cuts back to the start. I know I can easily remove the unwanted command. But shouldn't the software stops à the end of the stroke by itself ? (I chose PLASMA VECTOR NO OFFSET) Thanks
    upload_2021-4-26_11-53-26.png

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Openbuilds CAM only supports Closed vectors. For open Vectors you would need a different CAM

3. Kevl4r

Kevl4r New
    Builder

Thank you

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

Sketchup with the SketchUcam plugin will do that easily

Kevl4r likes this.
  5. Kevl4r

Kevl4r New
    Builder

Thank you David, I am looking for a good Software that could run on all my platforms (Linux and Windows) I will look at SketchUp. I have tried few cuts with Fusion, but I have yet to configure the LEAD 1515 in metric for the Gcode generation... Right now, there is a lot of Find/Replace command involved :)

Thanks a lot for your input. I am getting closer to good quality cuts for 1 mm mild steel.
    When it's all good I 'll post my cutting charts. On the forum for futur reference and to help others.

Mark Carew likes this.
  6. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

Make sure you don't go beyond the 2017 version. That's when it stopped being free and mostly trouble free. Go for 2016 or 2017.

Kevl4r likes this.
  7. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

eh????? The OB fusion post will output correct Gcode for a LEAD no matter if the drawing is inches or mm, AND even if the drawing is inch and the output is selected as mm, it still works fine (and the other way round).
    Install it from here docs:software:fusion360 [OpenBuilds Documentation]