Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Shifted Gcode file

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by dlhoulton, Mar 24, 2020.

1. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

Just let Control Software update. Homed machine (work). Then set my X and Y home for the project. Loaded my Gcode file and it started carving approx. 1" to the right of my set X position. Stopped the carve and rechecked and reset the X and Y home position. Reloaded the Gcode file and started the carve again. Same thing, the carving is starting approx. 1" to the right of the set X home position. Nothing was changed with the exception of allowing Control to do its thing with updating. I notice the X and Y scale on the screen is also putting the rendering 1" (25 mm) to the right of X.

#1 dlhoulton, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

please post the gcode file

3. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

I opened several different files and Control has shifted all of them 1" (25 mm) to the right of the set X work home position. Also as I posted above you can see the X, Y scale in viewer that the rendering is to the right.

Attached Files:

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Then in your CAM you already have an offset (or even further back in your CAD application)

5. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

That was the first thing I checked. I've carved this project in a larger version and had no problems. With this one I took the same file using Vcarve Pro as I did with the original and only reduced it is size. So it would load using Control. I went back and checked that there were no offsets in every place I could think to look. My work position is in X=0 and Y=0. I've gone over every step of the process and made sure that there are no offsets. Like I said it carved once already in a larger format and the only thing I've done was in Vcarve Pro was to reduce the size. Again checking that all offsets were at X=0 and Y=0. This has got me stumped!

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Do post the files, without best we can offer is guesswork
    Gcode and vectric project

7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

If a second pair of eyes would help @dlhoulton I have V-carve desktop and would be happy to have a look at your Vectric file if I can open it.
    Alex.

Snap! (must type faster lol)

8. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

the gcode file has the offset in it, ergo, that is what you output from CAM. CONTROL does not change the Gcode in any way that I know of, so not a control problem,.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

CONTROL will never do that, it just shows what you give it in the preview, and send it to Grbl as-is.
    Post the Vectric file, lets see whats in there, probably stock setup

10. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

Everyone was right! I'm almost to ashamed to post my mistake. But here it is. My stock board in set up and what I cut to carve out the project was 8" in the X. The project I mistakenly measured as being 5" in the X. I usually mark on my board where the carving will be, so in the center of the 8" board I drew two lines equaling 5". Well things compounded from there. My first mistake was that I set my work X and Y from the 5" mark not where it should have been at the edge of the board. The next mistake was going back and looking at the project size in Vcarve. It was not 5" but 5.8". See where this is heading. All this compounded to having a shift of the carve to the right in the X direction!!! What an embarrassment. So very sorry to have had everyone work on this only to have myself to blame.

11. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

We have all been there @dlhoulton :D
    Alex.

12. Peter Van Der Walt

Glad you came back and reported what it was :) could as well have disappeared into the night - but good on you, if anyone else runs into similar, the advice is here!

Giarc likes this.