Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

SharkBits cutting, feeds and speeds info

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by ScottKruer, Nov 30, 2021.

1. ScottKruer

Builder

I downloaded the Vectric tool database for the SharkBits and imported it. I then stepped through each bit entry to match up with the bits I just purchased. The bits I purchased are:

SB-10518-DC
    SB-11014-DC
    SB-1518-NS
    SB-2014-NS
    SB-2518-NS
    SB-501654-NS
    SB-7510
    SB-9014-NS

I was surprised to find that only SB-1518-NS, SB-501654-NS and SB-2014-NS show up in the tools database. So, I went in search of an answer for this in this here forum... Not allot that a search for "shark bits" or "shark bits" comes back with other than their available for purchase in the parts store. So, next step in my quest was to just add them myself... Finding the cutting info and feeds/speeds is proving to be harder than finding a purple squirrel. Trying to Google "Shark Bits" returns mostly info regarding SharkBites (plumbing related connectors). Tried to find info on the Gearish, LLC website... Nothing there...

Can anybody point me in the correct direction? I'm trying not to use info copied from the default Vectric tools database for similar size/shape cutting bits, if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance...

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Some of the newer bits have landed in the store so recently they are not in the database yet
    You can pick the nearest similar bit as a starting point, the database values are just conservative starting points.

3. ScottKruer

Builder

Ok... Thanks

4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I don't know if this helps or not, but I have found that pretty much any endmill I have from 3mm to 8mm will cut at 2500 mm per minute at 1/2 the bit diameter ( 8mm endmill at 4mm depth of cut) in any wood I have tried. I usually start at about 16000 to 18000 rpms and adjust up or down as it is cutting by listening to it. If it sounds like it is struggling, I turn up the rpms. If I am using them for a 3d carve, I will run between 3000- 3500 mm/ minute since I am only removing 40% for roughing and 10% for finishing with a ball nose.

I have never used any database because I am lazy and my experience pre-Vectric showed me these speeds worked.

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.