Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Setting start position

Discussion in 'CAM' started by Soatmon, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Soatmon

Soatmon New
    Builder

I have looked and could not find an answer.

I am working on a project to control a quilting machine for my wife and need some help with Cam.

When I run Openbuilds Cam I could not find how to set where the machine will start working. I want to always start in the left lower corner x0 y0 but sometimes the gcode has it start there and then immediately move to the far upper right then start the work. Is there a way to correct that?

The problem is that whenever the machine moves it will be sewing as the stitching is controlled by the machine itself the CNC portion just moves the machine. I have attached 4 files the lizard file works as preferred the scrolling vines file has the issue. I realize that the machine will move back to the origin at the end but we can just pause Control and turn off the sewing machine. The moving across the pattern at the begining will make it hard to line up the starting position each time. Thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

There's nothing in your obc files. And I'm not quite sure what you want exactly, but you might be able to go into settings and change the start and end gcode to achieve what you want. I dont think there is a way to tell it where to actually start stitching like you could with Fusion, but you can have the machine move back to X0,Y0 at the end of the job. At the beginning of the job you could add a pause after it moves to the first stitching position. This pause would allow you to turn on the sewing machine. What would be even better is if you had a relay that would turn the sewing machine for you.

Edit: You wont be able to add a pause to the beginning using the start settings. You'd have to add it to the gcode manually.

End of job add this above the spindle off command

G0 X0 Y0

#2 sharmstr, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Consider getting the stitching under software control? If its how I imagine, a machine with a footpedal switch, you can use the relay: docs:blackbox:jumper-relay [OpenBuilds Documentation]
    Or if you need to switch mains power: docs:blackbox:connect-dewalt-iotrelay [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Then you can use M3/M5 to start/stop the stitching?

Starting position follows the segment order in the CAD drawing

sharmstr likes this.
  4. Soatmon

Soatmon New
    Builder

Thank you for the reply.
    The stitching has to be a certain number of stitches per inch, in a straight line, circles etc. etc. The machine already has a stitch regulator which is controlled through a couple of encoders with wheels that ride on the track. You also have to tie off the stitch in the beginning and cut the thread at the end so it's easier for me to just start and stop it manually.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Soatmon

Soatmon New
    Builder

Thank you for the reply.
    I'm not sure why the files are empty. I saved the gcode from Openbuilds Cam. Regardless I appreciate your input I had not thought about a pause, that will be very helpful.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I have replaced the files, they are working now, thank you for letting me know.
    I had not thought about adding a pause, that will be very helpful. I have a 3d printer, laser, and 2 cnc routers all for my hobbies and still don't do a lot of gcode editing but can figure this out.
    I don't think I can use a relay as the machine has to boot up after it is powered on and off. The stitching is regulated with a stitch encoder that has wheels that ride the track to get the stitches the same number per inch no matter what direction the machine is moving and it works great. It's not a problem to stop and start it manually especially with the suggestion of a pause as you have to tie off the stitch at the start and cut the thread at the end before it makes the rapid to home. It will just be hard for my wife to line up each row if it starts in the upper right corner. You can see in the lizard gcode that it starts at x0y0 moves up a couple of inches and starts the pattern which is great, in the scrolling vines it starts at x0y0 then moves diagonally to the upper right corner and starts the the pattern. I don't know why it treats the 2 differently. All of this is doable as is just trying to make it as user-friendly as possible for my wife. I really appreciate your help! I have attached the new files to this response.

Attached Files:

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

See:

Ie that is already in your CAD file, that first segment it goes to, is the first segment in the SVG file as it parses from the top down

7. Soatmon

Soatmon New
    Builder

That's helpful I will see what I can do with that information to make it work better for me. Thanks!