Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Run Jobs offline - Bad internet Provider

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by pochrist, Mar 21, 2021.

1. pochrist

pochrist New
    Builder

I have searched and can't really find a definitive answer. It's been a few months since I've been in my shop to work with the CNC (too cold). But I recently made changes to my Internet service provider and currently lose my internet connection up to 9 times a day (at last count).

I am concerned that if i start a Job routine and the connection drops if it will kill the job. Is there anyway to run the control software from the PC in the shop or do the job parameters get saved locally during the session?

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You dont need an internet connection to run. Only to update the software. And even then you can download the latest release using a different computer and save to a usb stick.

3. pochrist

pochrist New
    Builder

great news their. On that topic its been a while but is their an option to disable the update, I have problems in the past with turning on the PC, firing up the program and then setting up the materials and just when I am ready to run the job, the program decides to run the update. i know their is a pop up (most times) asking if i want to delay the update for an hour. But I am a fan of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" i know from experience that for every update released to "fix" and issue those changes can and have break something else. I would find it more use full to run and update if I have and Issue.

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

5. pochrist

pochrist New
    Builder

OK well that's not the best option as i do use my computer to stream a web cam during those jobs as well so i view it remotely. Perhaps the best route would be to block the control software via the windows firewall. Any specific files I should block or just the whole folder?

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

7. pochrist

pochrist New
    Builder

I think that would do if i didn't have a computer at all, as sharmstr said "it doesn't need internet to run" just to do updates, so that answers my original question. blocking the updater is a far easier ans flexible solution to then updates. Thanks anyway for the suggestion.