Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Reverse Workbee gantry plates?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Judehey, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Judehey

Judehey New
    Builder

I'm assembling my first machine, a 500x750 Workbee. It seems I could recover a couple inches of usable x axis work surface by reversing/swapping the gantry support plates. I would need longer front and back frame rails, but the rest of the parts would still work. This would reverse the c-beam assembly and expose the leadscrew to sawdust: I don't know how much of a problem that would cause. Any other reasons this would be a bad idea?
    Thanks

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You might also consider drilling a matching set of nut block attachment holes in the smaller plates and then you could leave the side C-beam rails facing out.

3. Judehey

Judehey New
    Builder

I thought of that as well, but I haven't read anything or seen any pictures of anybody doing this, so I figured there had to be a good reason that I had just not thought of.
    If there is no reason not to do it, I'm surprised that it was originally designed in a way that reduces the working area.
    I'm just looking for the gotcha before I start modding a machine I've never even used.
    Is there one?
    Thanks

#3 Judehey, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019