Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Resuming Job from a specific g-code line ??

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by Guillaume Rancourt, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Guillaume Rancourt

Builder

Hey There,

I've realized i had an issue with my tool setup when cutting at line 68319 of my code. I stopped it, at mid night and wanted to get back to it the following day, i realized i cannot resume from the same line after closing everything?

Is there a way that it would be possible for me to start back at line 68319 or a little before ?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

only by Editing the gcode, because:
    a) you need to bring in any Modal gcodes that was active from earlier in the job (offsets, spindle, modes, mm/inch, absolute/incremental, etc)
    b) you need to write gcode to position the endmill correctly just prior to the first move you want to run from

That why its almost impossible to automate -> gcode is a conversation with the controller, things lead up to the line you want to run, you (as a human) can add whats needed, setup the machine in the right spots, and right offsets, and correct zero. A programme can not. It really boils down to "better know what you are doing or it will just crash"

3. Guillaume Rancourt

Builder

Ahahaha!

Let me tell you I will not try it! ;)

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

The best and easiest way to do this is to use bCNC (you dont have to be using it to run the machine!)
    open the gcode in bCNC
    click the editor tab
    uncheck the blocks that have already been cut. the 3D view will show you what block you have selected, very easy to see what it going on. (but do not uncheck the first block, the or any other one that sets modal parameters like G90 G21 G17 etc)
    save the file.

now you can load the file into your actual controller and carry on. I usually load bCNC on my work PC just for previewing Gcode, then i transfer the code through the network to the laptop that drives the machine.

5. Guillaume Rancourt

Builder

Ohhh wow!! That's great!! ;)

Thank you so much! I'll absolutely try it on a scrap piece before and see how it works,!

Best regards,

6. devloop

devloop Well-Known
    Builder

I agree with Guillaume Rancourt, there needs to be a " Run from Line" option in the G-code, most other programs offer it as a quick means to get back to where you were rather than trying to run the entire cut again, I have it on another machine and yes the G-code can be difficult to navigate to find position but its very manageable when you're stuck

7. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Any update on this idea? It’s a nice feature of both ShopBot control and Mach 3 software that would be useful in OBC.

#7 GKTRK, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  8. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Has this been implemented? Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 6.57.37 AM.png

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Yeah, couple months now. That email was the announcement after all :)
    Under Wizards and tools, or as right click in Gcode editor. Still beta of course

10. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

I’ve been using Interface…better dig out my laptop!!

11. Peter Van Der Walt

You can still use it to prep recovery gcode, then take that to the Interface

12. Peter Van Der Walt

You can still use it to prep recovery gcode, then take that to the Interface

13. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

This wizard doesn’t seem to work. Is it because my G code is too large and it can’t be loaded into the editor? IMG_4286.jpeg IMG_4287.jpeg

14. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

@Peter Van Der Walt can you shed some light on why this doesn’t seem to work? Are my GCODE files too long? Still doing this by hand and it’s tedious…

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct, if its not able to load into the editor, we can't edit it. Sorry

16. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Figured. Wonder if I could write a macro to do ii in Excel, at least to just re-write the header up til the F-rate command.

17. David the swarfer

you can use bCNC to edit the code, it splits the code into blocks on Z motion, when you click a block it highlights it in the preview.
    you don't need to put bCNC on your controller pc, any PC will do since you are just editing the code.
    in thre bCNC editor you highlight and 'untick' the block tha t have already been cut, keeping the first 1 or 2 (the header and initial position moves) and untick the rest up till the one that stopped cutting.
    save the file and transfer it to CONTROL.
    note that bCNC does not delete anything from the file, it just comments it out, so you can reload it and turn blocks back on if you need to.

JustinTime and GKTRK like this.
  18. Andy Patton

Builder

OMG!! I never knew this was an option. I just hit the Limit switch while cleaning up after 6 hours into an 8 hour job. I was pissed at myself!! I came hear looking for an out and found it!! Thank you, Thank you!! The job started in the exact spot and is finishing up now!! Saved me 6 hours of work!!

Giarc likes this.
  19. rtglover

rtglover New
    Builder

Okay, ill bite- what is bCNC and where do i find it?
    Sorry, I'm new to Gcode editing.

20. David the swarfer

all GRBL based systems have 2 parts, the controller (a Blackbox in our case) and the sender, usually a PC based GUI program that sends the Gcode to the controller.
    OpenBuildSCONTROL is our preferred GUI for beginners, it is simple to use and performs all the basics.
    others you may have heard of are UGS,iosender,candle
    bCNC is such a GUI, written in Python and works on all platforms, and has many extra features including the mentioned editor that makes turning blocks on and off trivial.

You don't even have to have it on your controlling PC and use it for connecting to the machine, you can use it on some other PC to just edit the gcode then send the gcode to wherever you need it (like an Interface)

GitHub - vlachoudis/bCNC: GRBL CNC command sender, autoleveler and g-code editor

21. rtglover

rtglover New
    Builder

Thank you. I think I found bCNC on line and I am still working on how to use it.

In the meantime I found a loose V wheel. After I over tightened both of the them, the job ran to completion with only 1/32” drift down on the Z axis, no sudden step down. This is a 160 minute fine taper ball nose detail carve with lots on vibration in the Z axis. Probably too much to ask of a Shapeoko 3 even with a HDZ so I’m satisfied for now.

I’ll be exploring bCNC for future trouble shooting so thanks for the tip.