Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Resuming carve

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by juansierra, Feb 16, 2020.

1. juansierra

Builder

Yesterday I bumped the power off to my desktop and everything came to a halt after 4 hours and was wondering whether anyone here knows how I can resume the carve after something like this.
    I heard that you can edit the g code, but never seen any articles or videos on it.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The reason you are not finding much help, or videos, etc about it is because it is actually extremely hard to do:
    1) You need a very good understanding of the GCODE to edit out the correct sections, yet maintain the correct Modal (persistant) gcodes and relevant headers to set the correct modes for the gcode that follows
    2) You also need to write precursor gcode to position the machine just right before including the rest of the job so the tool moves into the cut from a valid position without crashing (cannot just start from say 0,0,0)
    3) It also requires precisely reestablishing Work zero (which is lost when power is lost as the machine didnt do a controlled decelerated stop)

Long story short: If you can eliminate already cut sections in your CAM software, re-cam and run the remainder, else, better to aircut - or risk the edit - worst case you ruin the workpiece and break an endmill, best case you learn how to do it.

Alex Chambers and Mark Carew like this.
  3. juansierra

Builder

Thanks, I redid the cut again lowered my Z by .0010 and worked out.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.