Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Repurposed Steel Table 4 x 8 Build

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by KaosCNC, Apr 17, 2018.

1. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

2. Techvette

Techvette Journeyman
    Builder

For that length, you're probably looking at a belt or chain drive. I have chain on the long axis of my router. It works pretty well, but you don't get the accuracy of a screw without serious microstepping and a really great chain. BuildYourCNC.com has parts for chain systems. They're not cheap. I haven't seen a functioning system with a lead screw or ball screw that long.

Another option is rack & pinion. Again, not cheap, but it works well.

What materials are you planning to cut?

Post updates! I'd like to see how it turns out.

3. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

I am looking to mainly cut plywood and 1x material for signs.. maybe some ABS plastic - acrylic and color core. I was thinking a belt drive -

4. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

Was wondering where I can find DXF files for plates that would go onto a C beam for holding my Z axis. I found some DXF files for a 40x60 but not 40x80.

5. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

Files - SMW3D R7

Those are some of the best plates for running with c-beam. You will want to recess the holes about 2mm or 2.5mm so the screw heads are countersunk enough, that is if you are using openbuilds screws.\

Join google plus groups. I would suggest openbuilds group, R7 cnc community, and ox cnc. Lots of builds and ideas on there

Techvette likes this.
  6. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

I'm working on a 5x8 plasma machine. It takes a lot of side support, depending on the rails you are using for the sides. If they are mounted to the table, no problem. GT3 or better quality belts, doubled up, with one glued down inside the track would get you started, for low cost. You can buy 30 feet of gt3 belt on amazon or ebay for a few bucks. Using a chain would be ok, but expensive. Rack and pinion, even better-thats what i really wanted to do with this machine, and still may, but the parts from cncrouterparts . com are expensive (somewhat). McMaster Carr also sells rack, and pinion gears, but you would need to come up with your own solution to gearing down the stepper motors for optimal power.

7. Techvette

Techvette Journeyman
    Builder

That is a @#$!!-ton of wheels. It hadn't occurred to me before to put them on the inside *and* outside of the c-beam. At that cost, though, it might make more sense to switch to fully-supported linear rail. :/

I need to figure out a way to machine the wheels. (Oohh - finally a reason to buy a lathe!)

8. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

The wheels are worth it. I also added a 20x80 extrusion to the front of my router and bolted them together. With only running a plasma, your not going to have as much force, so I'm running similar plates to that, except I left out half the wheels (only running 4 inside the cbeam, and 8 total on the top and bottom of gantry. So it's pretty reasonable. I think you can get the wheel kits for about $5 a piece. Lol not worth buying lathe for. I don't know how much a fully supported linear rail costs (or if they are available in 4 foot pieces.)

9. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

Joined those groups..... still looking for a plate to fit onto the c-beam. I tried modifying the plate dxf for the 60mm but I am still off the ecenntric nuts ride just below the c beam and depending on how they are positioned they scrape the bottom of the c-beam.

10. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

I cut those exact plates and they were dead on.

11. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

If I am not mistaken the plates are not for a 40x80mm c-beam - I believe they are for a 20x60 or 40x60 rail.

12. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

Nope. For 40 x 80. Those are the files smw3d.com used (maybe still use bit updated the missing hole in one part) for their r7. I have actually used those dxfs twice for plates

13. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

Ah... now that I know to look for R7 I think I have found the correct files... thanks - sorry about that ... new and all I am not sure of the correct questions to ask.

14. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

No worries friend. Keep us posted on the machine build! Plasma cutters are the best

15. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

If I wanted to have someone cut plates for me.. any idea how much they'd cost? They would need to fit a c-beam.

16. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

Are you looking for custom plates?

17. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

that is what I am thinking.

18. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

So this is where I stand... I prototyped some side plates out of plywood and then enlarged the Ox plates to have more holes at the bottom so its tall enough to go onto a c-beam. I am not sure if I should continue down this path or go all openbuilds. This concept would be a mix of printed parts, ABS plastic and the OpenBuilds linear rail. The Z axis has a printed top part with a Nema 17 and the bottom plate is printed. The middle plate is from Openbuilds. However, I am not sure the best way to mount it. I do have a printed part that goes onto the c-beam but not sure how rugged it will be. I have a makita 701c routher that I want to run so I also need to figure out how i'll mount that to the z axis.

Attached Files:

19. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

We think alike. I cut these out with an r7. Using them for my build, still working on my design if I should make new plates for the sides, or just use ox plates I have laying around. 20180330_182854.jpg

20. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

are those plates aluminum ? Those fit onto a c-beam correct? I think I have the file for the front plate but not the back plate. the backplate dxf I have does not fit onto a C-beam... Can you share that back plate with me?

21. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

Yes, aluminum. Yes, for c beam. The front plate is the smw3d r7 plate. The back is a custom plate I designed to run belts with c beam. I will see if I can find the files tonight

22. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

what size stepper is that on the back plate?

23. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

Just a regular nema 23 from openbuilds.

24. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

Your 3d printed parts look good. I use a 3d printed mount for my spindle as a brace, I cut one out of 1/2" aluminum (copied the openbuilds design and made it for my router) then 3d printed the openbuilds one (after modifying it to the right size)

25. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

I am going to run to a metal shop tomorrow morning to check on aluminum plate....I believe I would be looking for 1/4" for these plates correct? Also, what should someone expect to pay for aluminum plate? I have no idea how much it costs.

26. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

For 1/4" I pay around 10$ /sq ft. Half that for 1/8", which comes in handy for cutting your own connector and corner pieces/connectors. Out of 6 square feet you can cut several plates.

27. KaosCNC

KaosCNC Well-Known
    Builder

The more I ponder this build I am not inclined to go all openbuilds linear rail - using the Ox plates unmodified. Looks like the side rails for the OX are 20x80 - For my table I am not sure how I can get the side plates elevated to accommodate the bottom clearance needed for the side plate since there are wheels on top and bottom. I have not seen anything on OB or the SMW3D site that has some sort of stand off for the side rails which is what I would need. I am not sure how many variants there are of these CNCs - the little I know there is the OX, R7, Sphinx - not sure how many others but for doing something like I am with a full 4x8 table and building the set up to mount to the I-beams on my table I am not sure which is the best set up - I would mainly be cutting sheets of plywood or coroplast - some 1x for signs, ABS plastic sheets, etc... so I am not sure how strong of a machine I need.... open to any suggestions. Right now I feel like I am spinning my wheels and not making a solid plan to build something. I am still going to tinker with my hybrid mix of a 3d printed machine with Ox variant parts but I don't think that is the machine I want at the end of the day.

28. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

Relax man. Im dealing with the exact same issue. I'll message again when I get home

29. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder

What tools do you have available to you

30. wastelandfab

wastelandfab Journeyman
    Builder