Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Replacing stepper motors with more powerful ones. LEAD 1010

Discussion in 'CNC Lathes' started by MAFFPL, Jul 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

They have higher inductance so will lose some top end speed. They will work but our High Torque motors would be better

Why do you need stronger motors though?

3. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

I am building a machine on which a Co2 laser will eventually be used. However, I do not exclude that someday it can be used for milling. So what motors would you recommend, of course at a reasonable price?

4. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

By the way, do you think this product will be suitable for my project?

Dimensions:
    Length: 1040mm
    Diameter: 8mm
    Thread pitch: 2mm
    Lead (movement distance after 1 revolution): 8 mm

5. Peter Van Der Walt

For a laser you want to focus on low inductance and low coil voltage (high inductance is self-braking, and higher coil voltage limits acceleration). Lasers like fast. Ideally belt drive to keep up.

I would recommend ours. Not for any other reason that the specifically custom made electrical specs. Hard to find ones that beat ours.

6. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

What motors would you recommend? preferably dimensionally up to nema 23

7. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

Maybe you have knowledge and would like to share it. We have a 24V DC power supply. The 57HS3230 has a voltage of 3V and the MT-2303HS280AW has a command between 12 and 24V. I have MT-2303HS280AW motors in my Lead1515 and they work fine. However, 57HS3230, I also saw it connected to the power supply and it also worked. How does it all work? If I bought a 57HS3230 with a voltage of 3V, after connecting it to the DV 12-24V power supply, the motor could burn? be overloaded? I don't really understand the idea behind this action.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Steppers are constant current devices. Their coils are constant resistance, thus the voltage varies to make ohms law true. That's the stepper drivers job. The 24v input is chopped to +-3v (but as its not DC its way more complicated than that, its actually a stepped pseudo sine wave made by a chopper algorithm) but for your purpose think of it as a stepdown that uses higher input voltage to overcome inductance. If you used a 3v supply you'd have terrible slow rise times

Rob Taylor likes this.
  9. Peter Van Der Walt

10. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

I'm already lost :( so it's worth taking the 57HS3230?

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Order from OpensPartstore. If you want something proven. Its better (low inductance)

12. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

Ten engines were selected. I don't think there are many Nm. Will these trapezoidal screws be suitable? I can and buy from you, the most important thing for me is that they are compatible.

NEMA 23 Stepper Motor

13. Peter Van Der Walt

NEMA 23 Stepper Motor is the regular (fine for a LEAD, included by default), with NEMA 23 Stepper Motor - High Torque Series as the upgrade too it (slower but stronger - more useful for router machines with a heavy spindle)

Use these 8mm Metric Acme Lead Screw - quality screws = less whip, less backlash, more precision along the length (no variations in pitch), and a well formed thread pitch. Ours are also custom made per our specs, just like the motors. Slightly undersized on purpose to allow for a better fit with the nutblocks: Nut Block for 8mm Metric Acme Lead Screw x 2 per carriage on a standard LEAD machine. 3rd party screws won't fit out nuts as well

14. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

The x-axis will look like the photo, instead of the rollers there will be a mgn12 linear guide with mgn12c carriages. Plus that 175 oz*in motor and Acme T8 prop. Do you think this is a good laser kit? the y axis will be the same as in the picture.

15. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

Alternatively, I'm wondering how to apply the strip to the c-beam profile.

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Personally, I wouldn't use leadscrews for a CO2 laser, you need speed. Typically belts... See Lasers category LASER - PLASMA BUILDS | OpenBuilds of our Builds section

17. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

Peter, what do you think about this project? i also saw that lead 1515 and workbee 1010 are used in opt lasers. Did you mean that trapezoidal screws are not only suitable for co2?

(Smaug) 100w 1500x1000mm CNC Laser

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Yes, but those are diodes...

Not the same thing now is it? Diodes are around 5-6w. Co2 could be anything from 40w to 150w

I ask questions, you provide info, and I taylor my replies from there onward to apply to your needs yes. You said CO2, so I said

and then later down had to repeat. (In which I reinforced that the statement applies to CO2 lasers)

If its a CO2 laser, I think you have a bit more homework and research ahead of you before you start ordering parts. CO2 Lasers comes with lots of challenges. Speed, flying optics, mechanically linked dual Y drives (can't count on two motors as the flying optics needs perfect squareness), dangers in terms of blindness and electrocution (very real dangers). You honestly do sound in over your head, so take a while and read up some more please

19. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

I can see you're losing your patience. Pity. One learns every day. Well, thank you for your help. I disappear.

20. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Well, that's the problem MAFFPL, you are not learning every day. To get to where you need to be, you need plenty of research, reading and studying - that's what I had to do and I'm an Electro/ mechanical engineer! Peter's advice if for your own safety as much as anything else.

David the swarfer likes this.
  21. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

To use a simple analogy, comparing a CO2 laser to a CNC machine is like comparing a racehorse to a plow ox. One needs to be fast and light and the other, slow and muscular. So taking a muscular system and making it even more muscular serves no purpose when the goal for a CO2 laser is fast and light.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  22. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

It took me a while to think about what to reply to you.

"Well, that's the problem of MAFFPL, you are not learning every day."

You don't know what I do and you don't know how much time and willingness I spend on it. As far as I know, the discussion forum is there to learn from and LEARN EVERY DAY.

"To get to where you need to be, you need plenty of research, reading and studying - that's what I had to do and I'm an Electro/mechanical engineer!"

Cool! Referring to the previous sentences, you do not know what I do and how much time it takes me. I don't care who you are or how you came to this. I am interested in the knowledge that I am supplementing and you really have nothing to do with it.

" Peter's advice if for your own safety as much as anything else."

Peter is a very educated person who willingly shares his knowledge and that's great! Great respect for him.

You don't have to worry about my safety because maybe you are an Electro/Mechanical Engineer and you may be surprised how many levels I am higher than you in matters of security and cybersecurity.

What is it, what are these times when a man wants to do something interesting with passion and a moment later hits hate. You can write private messages to someone else.

Finally, if you don't have anything interesting to say, which I can see you don't, just don't write. Easy.

23. MAFFPL

MAFFPL New
    Builder

Thanks for the comparison. Peter just mentioned speed. If you have any valuable advice on CO2, I'd love to hear it.

24. Peter Van Der Walt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.