Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

replacement Y gantry plates for R7 CNC?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by dprice, Jul 6, 2024.

1. dprice

dprice New
    Builder

The left y-axis jammed and the right side kept moving,,,,so now the y-gantry plates are bent so the machine is out of square and sometimes jams on y motion. I doubt I can bend them back to flat (1/4" aluminum plate) so I'm looking at replacement options.

HobbyFab/SMW3D is gone but the files have been saved to GitHub (github.com/eclsnowman/R7-CNC) so one option is to find someone to cut them for me. This would be Plan A.

Plan B would be to replace the plates with some combination of C beam plates and other hardware. I could use some insight on how to go about this since the R7 y gantry plates do not extend below the C beam. Any suggestions on where to start?

A less than exact fix would be fine since I can always try to cut my own replacement plates once I am back up and running.

Thanks!

Don

Attached Files:

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Use your good one as a template to drill a temporary replacement. That'll get you up and running to make a proper set.

dprice likes this.
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Otherwise send off the files to SendCutSend or similar services

dprice and Rick 2.0 like this.
  4. dprice

dprice New
    Builder

Excellent ideas. Plan C would be to add the base frame and use the Lead gantry design. That may make it easier to fix when I screw it up again.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.