Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Replace bearing screws with shoulder bolts?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by m4mica, Jan 16, 2021.

1. m4mica

m4mica New
    Builder

I'm in the middle of building up my 1010 lead machine. I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to replace the 65mm screws that the solid wheel bearings use as an axle with a shoulder bolt. I am concerned that the washer that is used as a spacer between the bearings will drag along the threads of the screw and bind. And that the point contact of the screw will eventually wear causing it to loosen up. The standard screws are obviously cheaper and probably why they were used. Has anyone done this upgrade or am I just over complicating things? If it makes sense it would be easier to do it now during assembly than once its built. Thanks!

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

First I'd look to see if you can actually find a 65mm M5 shoulder bolt that doesn't have an enlarged shoulder diameter, or the question is kinda moot.

Other than that, in theory it would make things slightly better, but in practice I've never noticed any issues arising from it. The washer certainly doesn't engage on the threads, nor could it ever do so by enough to actually make a difference to the freedom of the axle.

Peter Van Der Walt and sharmstr like this.
  3. m4mica

m4mica New
    Builder

Thanks. It certainly isn't a standard shoulder screw and anything I can find that might work is long lead and $$ anyway. If you've not had issues that's good enough for me, but figured it was worth the ask. Thanks again.