Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Reducing RouterER11 Total Indicated Runout & Questions

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by AH1684, Jan 9, 2024.

1. AH1684

AH1684 New
    Builder

Howdy,

I cannot find any forum bits on runout concerning the RouterER11. I both have some questions, and figured it'd be good to write everything I've done so far! Furthermore, if I'm doing anything glaring wrong, I'd bet someone would point it out ha!

I also admit I could either be doing something wrong, or simply trying to push the kit past it's specifications. I'm uncertain, let's find out!

Tools:
    • Accupro .0001" dial test indicator.
    • Noga Holder
    • Precisebits' calibration blank & UP 1/8" collet.
    • RoutER11

Currently, my method is:
    • Replacing the standard collet with a precision one.
    • Starting with a good, fresh ER11 nut. (My first one had some damage (from me) that though was likely superficial - but I figured safer than sorry.)
    • Clean the spindle, collet, calibration blank, and nut.
    • Load the ER11 collet into the nut using the eccentric ring.
    • Load the calibration blank into the collet - not going past the collet end.
    • Hand tighten and then wrench tightly - but not overtight - the assembly onto the spindle.
    • Measure runouts with dial test indicator.
    • Repeat a handful of times.
    My measurements are:
    • The RoutER11's spindle taper has a runout of 0.0001"-0.0002".
    • The TIR near the base of the blank is 0.001"-0.0012"
    • The TIR ~0.7 inches away from the spindle is .0029"-.0033"
    I also find if I leave the nut a little bit loose, the ~0.7" TIR reduces to ~.002".

These measurements suggest the runout is likely primarily axial runout, given the dramatic increase over distance.
    Given the 0.7" TIR reduces by 30% with a little loosening of the nut - not loose, but not as tight - my current hypothesis is likely the threads aren't perfectly concentric. The TIR is consistent between 1st and 3rd party nuts.

The TIR near the base is consistent with reviews on the Router11 page. And I think it's good for a router system, so I may just be wishing for a smaller runout than is reasonable. Yet, I feel as if the spindle bore and bearings are a good quality that could provide a much better runout.

Questions:
    • What is the specified/goal runout of the RoutER11 system? I've not found a number in any of the documentation I've trawled - though I could have just missed it too.
    • In the ER11 system, should I lubricate - with non-sieze lubricant - the outside of the collet? I'm uncertain about that and cannot find a clear answer. I'd rather not have to clean up lubricant if I'm wrong.
    • Are my runout measurements consistent with yours? Or are they uncharacteristically high? Would it be possible to reduce this system's TIR?

Thanks for your time.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Plesae contact the store via Support > new ticket for assistance, they will be able to resolve the issue for you.

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

and you have watched these... right?

4. Misterg

Misterg Veteran

To answer this question specifically: No, you shouldn't lubricate the collet. Clean them with something like WD40 to remove any oil or chips and wipe off as much as possible, leaving the slight oily residue to guard against rust.

For new collets, check that there isn't left-over swarf from the manufacturing process clinging inside the slots.

Note that there are published tightening torque figures for the ER collet system (it varies depending on nut type and collet size):

ER Collet Torque Chart - Collet Size and Nut Type Specfic

5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

I like to scribble all over the outside of the collet with an ordinary pencil (especially with those funky custom collets on cheap routers). The graphite is plenty of lubrication to make getting the collet out easier.

6. AH1684

AH1684 New
    Builder

I have seen those videos! I gave that technique another shot, and the best I seem to reduce it best to is .0025" @ .7" over a few tries and variations. I think fewer components means less wiggle room, nor is he or I certain if that low runout would persist while cutting.

Thanks for the answers about lubrication - I did see one person suggest to use non-sieze, arguing it prevents the collet for siezing at an angle. Yet I figured that did not seem right, and assumed gumming stuff with with lubricant would cause a bigger headache. However, it was the last bit I had not tried.

I've checked and went to recheck everything for swarf/unsightly bits and it all seems clean still.

Thanks for the torque table too! I may pick up a torque meter/wrench.

I'll check out support - I'm still unclear as to what the specified spindle runout on the RoutER11 should be! I may also nab a few bits to make certain my instruments are calibrated too!

#6 AH1684, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024