Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Red indicator for one Y axis on Blackbox

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Bug Report' started by Richard Stevens, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Richard Stevens

Builder

Hey,

I think my Lead CNC had a near death experience on one of my first tries. Only one of the Y motors showed the red exclamation mark after some 20 minutes of cutting and consequently stopped working. The second one happily continued causing the X gantry to twist while producing rather unpleasant noises.

Luckily it was only 6-7cm of movement before I managed to cut the power.

Is there anything that can be done either in software or in hardware to make sure that in case of an error on one of the Y motors, both are stopped or maybe even better, everything is stopped? Otherwise there's a risk of the machine tearing itself apart in case of only one of the Y motors stopping due to a fault.

Cheers,

Richard

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes, refer to docs:blackbox:currentadjustment [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Resolve the reason (listed possible causes in the documentation) then power off for a couple minutes to clear the error.

3. Richard Stevens

Builder

Again, thanks for the quick response. This is what I already did and so far it didn't happen again.

The reason I posted my question in the bug reports section (it's indeed more like a feature suggestion) is that only one Y motor failing is a risk to the machine. If the described error situation could be identified in software with the machine stopping right away, it could prevent it tearing itself apart.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thank you for your feedback

#4 Peter Van Der Walt, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020