Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Recurring false 'Hard limit triggered.' Alarm

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by roses, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Jason Elford

Builder

Thanks for your response Peter. Since I’ve removed the limit cables from the black box, how can it be thinking their has been a limit hit? Also, without limits working I suppose I can’t really use the homing feature.

2. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

I had the same problem. What I've ended up doing is put a capacitor between the in pin of the limit switch and the ground and my problem was solved.

See this thread.

#32 JustinTime, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Rest of the "cable" still exists as a PCB trace...
    Floating now (instead of being connected to a pullup / etc = even more susceptable than with a switch attached) - if you unplug it, also disable it.

BlackBox and Xtension Switches already has RC Filters

Thus my earlier mention:
    And also the
    Tell us what you are running, because if IS a BlackBox with Xtension switches, and you still get EMI issues, it points to the source of the EMI being particularly nasty - could be something like a VFD spindle without an earth (not only bad for EMI, downright dangerous)

4. Jason Elford

Builder

I’m running black box, Xtension switches, and the Makita trim router others use, as well as the openbuilds high torque nema 23s. I have noticed a few times that I’ve got shocked touching the machine - figure it’s static from cutting the mdf.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Good, any dust extraction solutions in place?
    And may be worth while earthing your machine frame.

Run a air cut test with the router off too as a test

6. Jason Elford

Builder

no dust extraction yet, I’ve seen some people replace the router cable with a grounded cable instead.

I’m confused though because I presume others are able to build and run these kits without all these issues.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

Thats why i am trying to determine what you are doing differently :) keep working though the suggestions and we will arrive at an answer.

Did you answer all the questions in docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation] to yourself?

Spacing of cabling is usually the main suspect. Followed by static electricity from dust

But it could be something unexpected too (house wiring issues, neighbours, magic etc)

8. Jason Elford

Builder

if the limits are entirely unplugged from the black box (no wires plugged in to the limit pins in the black box), then even if there is a possible emi source, how would that signal be even getting into the black box?

I’ve plugged the router into a different circuit than the motor power (I have the openbuilds 24 v power supply). I’ve moved the router cable away by hanging it from the ceiling so it’s nowhere close to any other wires. I’ve unplugged the motors switch wires from the black box. I’ve made sure the openbuilds interface cable is away from the motor wiring. Still same issue.

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Electromagnetic waves travel through the air.
    And as mentioned twice above, an unplugged port is obviously more susceptible than one connected to something (no load, no pull ups, etc). That said EMI could get in via other wires as well, thus the overarching recommendation to look at the source of the EMI.
    So NB NB NB keep the Xtension Switches plugged in! The onboard RC filter will pull up the SIG pin.

The Interface cable, being longer, and not a differential signal like USB, is also more sensitive than USB. So next test, run same testing over USB only (removing interface from the list of subjects, if it keeps happening without the Interface)

But have you done a test with the router off, to see if its the Source of the EMI at all? If it keeps happening with the router switched off, then that eliminates the router as the source of EMI (though not definitively as when you are not cutting you are also not generating static electricity from the chips - so needs further testing then, if the EMI is then router, or dust related)

10. Jason Elford

Builder

Update: I plugged all the limits back in and ran the job with the router on but cutting in the air. The job ran fine to completion. I then tried to run the surfacing job again, and noticed while vacuuming that I was getting static shock (vacuum was not touching machine). As I have the surfacing job taking 2 mm off the mdf spoil board, a metric ton of dust gets generated. I am also in snowy Canada where it is very very cold, low moisture in the air of the shop. Is it possible that static due to the low moisture and ton of dust in the air is causing a static shock to the machine and then that’s triggering the false hard limit alarm? I’m in the process right now of trying do run the surfacing job with a 0.5 mm depth of cut to generate less dust and reduce the chance of a shock.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

I.e. exactly point 2.7 of:

Alex Chambers likes this.
  12. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Yes, that's definitely possible - best solution is to earth your dust extractor hose - length of bare copper wire along the inside, connected to mains earth at the vac end.
    Alex.

13. Jason Elford

Builder

I don’t have any dust extraction, but I think that the dust that’s spraying everywhere may be causing static on the machine itself. I tried to run with less depth cut but same thing happened. Next Ill try running a wire from the machine to the ground. Any other suggestions?

14. Jason Elford

Builder

Alright so I tried running a ground from the frame to a ground plug, same issue. What’s next?

15. Jason Elford

Builder

I’ve got it sorted! I ran a ground from the Makita router to a wall plug ground to test if it would work fine and bingo bango it worked! I plan to change out the power cable for the makita router and add a proper ground to it. I googled how to do it and there’s other forums where people have done this here: Makita Router - adding a three prong plug

Thanks all for your help!

Giarc and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  16. Peter Van Der Walt

That would help yes

Jason Elford likes this.
  17. Randy

Randy Journeyman
    Builder

I know this is an old post but is there anyway to incorporate a resume cut feature after a lockout? This is the second time it has happened in the middle of a job and starting over a 5 hour cutis a real pain. I can not for the life of me see any reason that the error should be happening. The machine is cleaned and all switches are intact. I am using the BlackBox on my WorkBee.
    Thank you.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Because the condition causes machine to lose position, no easy way to recover. Rehome, rezero, and manually edit the gcode, keeping any modals and setup routines intact. Write positioning moves to safely enter cut before first motion commands. Needs gcode knowledge

rather spend the effort to resolve your EMI issues first… so it stops happening. See our EMi FAQ page under docs.openbuilds.com

Jason Elford likes this.
  19. Randy

Randy Journeyman
    Builder

Holy Smokes. Well I am Smart but not smart enough to figure all that out. Oh well I started over again at 200 percent the Current cut Speed and will Slow it down when I get back into the Wood again.
    I will check out that page.

Thanks for your time.
    Randy

20. Jason Elford

Builder

My issue turned out to be static discharge caused by cutting mdf (spoilboard surfacing) - the makita router isn’t grounded, just double insulated. I grounded it and now it never happened again.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  21. Randy

Randy Journeyman
    Builder

I will over everything when I get this job done. Never thought about static as everything is grounded correctly but now that you mention it my Vacuum may be the culprit. Not sure how to explain it.
    I believe having the hose mounted to the machine might be the issue. The plastic hose is building up static and then releases a charge? Unseen to my eye of course.

Thank you.

22. Jason Elford

Builder

I’d bet more than I should that is your problem. Look up how to ground a dust collector hose and do that!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  23. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Well worth earthing the vac hose - just some bare copper wire along the inside and connected to mains earth at the vac end.
    Alex.

24. Randy

Randy Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks. I never even thought about it. But stupid me used a piece of binder wire to attach the hose direct to the side plate to hold the hose in position. It’s removed now but I would have never thought it would interfer being I have the machine on a wood surface. In any case I am not turning on the vacuum until this done hahah.
    The piece I am carving is fantastic. I have to give CNCplanetart.com coodos for this design. Best detailed model I have ever carved.
    Thank you.

#54 Randy, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Alex Chambers likes this.