Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Re starting a job mid way through with black box.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Chris Preece, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Chris Preece

Builder

So I recently got a lead 1010 CNC. I am using a black box controller to operate it and have found a few issues.

I was running a job and had the cnc stop operation. There was some kind of error but it never told me what it was. I restarted and ran again and this time it just froze mid way through the job. The home was still set and knew what line I was on but there was no way I could see to restart the job.

My question is. Is there anyway to restart a job midway through operations with blackbox controller. So say The tool has not moved and I know I am on say line 6602 could I select that line turn on the router and start the job from that spot rather than having to fully restart and have it just cut air until it catches up to the right position.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Not quite - you would have to edit your g-code as there are important commands at the beginning of every g-code file. Also your software will tell you what line it is on, but your hardware has a buffer and is storing an unknown number of lines ready to run them.
    Alex.

#2 Alex Chambers, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

In the software that you use to create toolpaths, edit the toolpaths by selecting toolpaths not yet cut including the toolpath where the machine stopped, save the toolpath, and try again.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

And if you edit the gcode manually you'll likely have to edit in some new gcode to position it correctly prior to the first cut move you want to start from (it got to there before it stopped... without getting there first, and having every offset/modal/etc the same, it will just ruin the workpiece more)

Very few host applications provide a resume function because it is really complicated

5. Daniel Haumesser

Builder

That seems like the most logical way to pick up where you left off.